birding-aus

Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update
Date: 24 Mar 2014 03:02:19 +1000

Birdline New South Wales

Published sightings for the week ending 23 Mar 2014.

Sun 23 Mar Red-browed Treecreeper, Beautiful Firetail Blue Mountains National Park (Evans Lookout)
We located at least two Red-browed Treecreepers, possibly more right next to the main lookout car park as we had gotten out of our cars. Thanks to Fiona for her sharp ears! There was at least one Beautiful Firetail and many migrating Brown-headed Honeyeaters.
Ákos Lumnitzer, Fiona Lumsden, John French

Little Penguin North Avoca
It was great being in the surf with a Little Penguin today, watching it chase baitfish through the unbroken waves. I haven't seen one at North Avoca for about 8 years. Interestingly, most times I have seen them there before it has also been in early Autumn.
Nick Carson

Straw-necked Ibis Bicentennial Park, Glebe
2 Straw-necked Ibis flying over Bicentennial Park late morning. I've never seen them in the inner-city.
Lorne Johnson

Pilotbird, Beautiful Firetail, Grey Goshawk Evans Lookout Rd, Blackheath
Got to see two Pilotbirds and fairly close to us. Lots of New Holland Honeyeaters and a couple of Beautiful Firetails too. The small birds (Pilotbirds too) got very excited at the arrival of a Tiger Snake in the area. The cacophony of cranky birds was deafening. A grey morph Grey Goshawk was also seen.
Ákos Lumnitzer, Fiona Lumsden, John French

White-fronted Chat Newington Armory-Nature Reserve
Two male White-fronted Chats feeding in the big grassy paddock adjoining the fenced nature reserve along with seven Aust. Pipits. I think these might be the last two birds in this population-they need a girlfriend! First time I have seen them in this paddock outside the restricted access reserve.
Dion Hobcroft

Sat 22 Mar Topknot Pigeon, Little Lorikeet, Black-shouldered Kite Glenola Farm, Yarramalong
4 Topknot Pigeons, 16 Little Lorikeets, 6 Musk Lorikeets and 42 Straw-necked Ibis flew over Glenola Farm at the World Water Day event sponsored by Wyong Shire and Gosford City Councils. A pair of Pied Butcherbirds were quite vocal and a Black-shouldered Kite rested in a Eucalypt for more than 2 hours in the heat of the day.
Nick Carson

Varied Sittella Lake Munmorah
5 Varied Sittella flying low crossing highway near traffic lights at new shopping centre.
Bill Boyd

White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Barking Owl, Whiskered Tern Jamieson Park, Narrabeen Lakes
Observed a single Whiskered Tern hunting over the lake near Jamieson Park as well as on the other side of the lake near Middle Creek, nearby were also 30 Black Swans, 10 Little Pied Cormorants, 20 Australian Pelicans, 20 Little Black Cormorants and 2 Australasian Darters. The Barking Owl was seen just before the bridge near the cabbage tree palm grove on the side closest to the lake again in a cabbage tree palm. I also observed a White-bellied Sea-Eagle fly over the lake heading towards Long Reef.
Jayden Walsh

Spangled Drongo Kings Point, Ulladulla
Two Spangled Drongos were spotted flying north early this morning. These are the first Drongos seen by me personally this year although they have been reported a couple of times over the last 2/3 weeks by members of our club in and around Ulladulla. We are also begining to have good numbers Honeyeaters flying through or area.
Bob Rusk

White-naped Honeyeater (1) Eastern Spinebill (1) Brown Gerygone (1) Yaralla Estate, Concord
Three quite good rarities for the inner west (all second or third records for me in local patch). Both honeyeaters first year birds. Also a juvenile Sacred Kingfisher, two Mistletoebirds, two Grey Fantails and heard Olive-backed Oriole. Lots of Silvereyes many with dull chestnut flanks, but showing green-yellow throat, (not whitish throat of Tasmanian population).
Dion Hobcroft

White-throated Needletail, Cattle Egret Tycannah Creek Crossing, Terry Hie Hie Road, 20km North of Terry Hie Hie
A single White-throated Needletail was observed flying overhead at 8:30am. This species is rarely found within the Moree Shire, but regular in the Narrabri and Gwydir Shires. It is also very late in the season for this species, especially this far inland in cotton farm country. The Needletail was seen flying over the road between open bimble box, wilga and coolibah country near Tycannah Creek (The Cory Bridge), Terry Hie Hie Road, 20km North of Terry Hie Hie or 30km south-east of Moree. Nearby was a Cattle Egret foraging amongst cattle in a field, this species is also rather uncommon here.
Curtis Hayne and Ainslee Lines

Black-faced Woodswallow Orange
6 Black-faced Woodswallows feeding low over house, unusual observation for Orange.
Neville Schrader

Fri 21 Mar Topknot Pigeon Coramba Nature Reserve
30+ Topknot Pigeons flying near Coramba Nature Reserve, N of Coramba. (Day's total in the Orara Valley: 250; see other posts).
Greg & Val Clancy

Topknot Pigeon Glenreagh
20+ Topknot Pigeons at Glenreagh. (Day's total in the Orara Valley: 250; see other posts).
Greg & Val Clancy

Topknot Pigeon Nana Creek, Nana Glen
200+ at Nana Creek, Nana Glen, attracted to fruiting Camphor Laurel trees. Day's total in the Orara Valley: 250 (see other posts). Photo shows part of the flock at Nana Creek.
Greg & Val Clancy

Brolga, Black-necked Stork, Wedge-tailed Eagle, White-necked Heron Maloney's Creek, Braunstone (29o49'39"S, 152o57'25"E)
Adult pair of Brolgas present in morning. Adult pair of Black-necked Storks, 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles and 2 White-necked Herons present in afternoon. Brolgas are very rare in the Braunstone area and this is the first sighting locally for many months.
Greg & Val Clancy

Eastern Osprey Lane Cove National Park (Sugarloaf Point)
Eastern Osprey tried to catch fish twice from a tall tree next to the river. Then flew to north side of Lane Cove river. There was also a young Australasian Grebe and a Brown Goshawk.
Fatih Sam

Brown Honeyeater, Golden Whistler and Spangled Drongo Eastlakes Golf Course
A very good selection of migrants today. 2 Brown Honeyeaters, 2 young Eastern Spinebills, 11 Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, 1 Golden Whistler, 1 Spangled Drongo, a few Tassie Silvereyes and 15 Musk Lorikeets. All seen in the extreme south of the site around the flowering paperbarks, close to where the stream goes under the railway, this section is (usually) pretty quiet.
David Mitford

Thu 20 Mar Australian Hobby, Collared Sparrowhawk, Brown Goshawk, Peregrine Falcon, Nankeen Kestrel Beaman Park, Earlwood
Amazing array or raptors for the inner west all seen at soccer training in the space of an hour and a half. A single Australian Hobby was observed sitting in a tree near the canteen, before taking flight and being herded away by the Noisy Miners. Not long after a male Collared Sparrowhawk whizzed by heading towards the golf course from the canteen, circled once and disappeared. Square tail, slight build and comparatively small head noted. As well as this, a distant Nankeen Kestrel was observed hovering over the golf course from the park, a female Brown Goshawk was attacking a flock of ~100 European Starlings and a Peregrine Falcon was observed in the dying light, flying fast in a westerly direction.
Simon Gorta

Satin Flycatcher Coutts Crossing Village
Adult female flycatcher in backyard again this morning at 0905 & 0945 hrs. Also in yard yesterday morning (March 19) at 0905 hrs. I am surprised that it hasn't continued on its journey yet.
Greg Clancy

Spangled Drongo Wingen Village NSW
2 Spangled Drongos perched in a tree, preening, above the creek in Wingen village this afternoon. I've only seen them here once before.
Greg Newling

Topknot Pigeon, Straw-necked Ibis, Pied Butcherbird Glenola Farm, Yarramalong
5 Topknot Pigeons flew over the paddocks and later I located a further 2 Topknot Pigeons in the trees along the banks of Wyong River. They were feeding on Sandpaper Figs with White-headed Pigeons, Brown Cuckoo-doves and Satin Bowerbirds. Along with 12 Topknot Pigeons seen flying over the M1 at Palmdale this morning, these are the first I have seen on the Central Coast this year. Also at Glenola Farm today were 20 Straw-necked Ibis (I counted 68 along the length of Yarramalong Valley), 2 Pied Butcherbirds and a Scarlet Honeyeater. Note: Glenola Farm is owned by Wyong Shire Council and has restrictred access. There will be an open day this Saturday 22 March for World Water Day. For more info see www.gwcwater.nsw.gov.au
Nick Carson

Wed 19 Mar Beach Stone-Curlew Urunga beach
3 Beach Stone-Curlews observed by Hastings bird group on number of occasions. One of them was flagged: Left: yellow flag with black 'C', right: metal band.
Stephen Gallivan

Pied Oystercatcher Merimbula Back Lake
Single Pied Oystercatcher foraging in shallows near central island, surrounded by Silver Gulls and a couple of Australian Pelicans.
David Spicer

Nankeen Night-Heron near Budgewoi Lake, Gorokan, NSW
A Nankeen Night-Heron landed in a tree near our house on The Corso at Gorokan about 50 metres from Budgewoi Lake. Was initially buzzed by Noisy Miners, then left alone. Stayed perched in the tree for a few minutes then disappeared.
Kevin Burns

Little Eagle M4 Motorway, Orchard Hills
At 18:45 approximately 500 meters east from the Northern Road exit (westbound) I got good views of a light morph Little Eagle circling low over the treetops like a Square-tailed Kite normally would. I was able to get a quick look under the wings to see the distinct white M shape and also noted its rounded tail. Very exciting, though no camera sadly.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Tue 18 Mar Rufous Fantail North Sydney
For atlassing purposes: a Rufous Fantail flew into [and out of] a friend's kitchen in North Sydney at 38b Edward St., 18th March,at 7.30 a.m. That's in a pretty built-up area. They apparently don't always use the ring road!
Keith Stephens [per Ted Nixon]

Little Lorikeet Merimbula-Pambula Golf Course
Flock of about 20 Little Lorikeets moving from eucalypt to eucalypt, competing with many Rainbow and Musk Lorikeets and Wattlebirds.
David Spicer

Satin Flycatcher Coutts Crossing Village
Adult female present again in backyard during the morning. Not seen in afternoon.
Greg Clancy

Mon 17 Mar Black-faced Monarch Greenwich
Vista St again [cf. 15/3]: c. 8 a.m., another migrant, an imm. Black-faced Monarch, foraging with a group of Tasmanian race Silvereyes. Also an Australian Brush-Turkey, not an uncommon species here these days, and - unhappily - a sick Tawny Frogmouth on the track [with no external sign of injury].
Ted Nixon

Satin Flycatcher, Rufous Fantail, White-breasted Woodswallow, Little Lorikeet Coutts Crossing Village
Adult female Satin Flycatcher in backyard at same time as Rufous Fantail. 1+ White-breasted Woodswallows over nearby. 2+ Little Lorikeets over. I at first thought that the flycatcher was a Leaden Flycatcher but when I checked the photos it had features similar to the bird that Jeff Davies identified from Sydney Olympic Park as a Satin. Satin Flycatchers are usually absent from the lowlands of the north coast and only breed at high altitudes. This is my first lowland north coast record in over 36 years. Jeff Davies has seen the photos and considers that the bird is a Satin Flycatcher.
Greg Clancy

Turquoise Parrot Heathcote Oval
2.30pm checking the edge of the oval for birds before venturing into the NP and at the northern end of the oval I see one Turquoise Parrot. Call it on my phone app and I have a photo opportunity. Very happy birder.
Kerry Allen

Sun 16 Mar Beautiful Firetail, Powerful Owl, White-naped Honeyeater Royal NP (Wattle Flat)
In less than two hours, I notched 51 species at this unusually productive spot. A pair of Beautiful Firetails foraging in small palms was a big surprise to me, as I associate them more typically with heath. A single Powerful Owl was found roosting along the creek, trying, I imagine, to ignore the two Satin Bowerbirds going through their repertoires on an adjacent branch. The honeyeater migration is getting under way, with many Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, and my first group of White-naped Honeyeaters of the season heard. Other nice birds here included Superb Lyrebird, Green Catbird, Rose Robin, Azure Kingfisher, and Brown-headed Honeyeater. Full list for Royal NP at the link.
Ashwin Rudder

Chestnut-rumped Heathwren, Rockwarbler, Tawny-crowned Honeyeater Royal NP (Wattamolla)
In patchy showers, I spent an awesome hour out at the Wattamolla Crevasse. Within a minute of arriving, I had a pair of Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens in the open a few metres away. I later saw another, and heard one more. A single foraging Rockwarbler affirmed this site as the most reliable for them in Sydney (in my opinion). A single Tawny-crowned Honeyeater was a nice touch, rounding out the trio of excellent birds I hope for at this spot. A flat sea yielded very little although I had distant views of a pair of what were likely a jaegar sp. Full list for Royal NP at the link.
Ashwin Rudder

Red-browed Treecreeper Royal NP (Lady Carrington Drive - south)
An hour or so spent on the southernmost couple of kms of Lady Carrington Drive yielded a number of excellent birds - the outright highlight was a pair of foraging Red-browed Treecreepers about 150m from the carpark. These are a difficult bird to find in the Sydney basin, with this only my second sighting (my first was the exact same spot, six years ago to the week). Other good birds along this stretch included a late-leaving Black-faced Monarch and a Rufous Fantail. A Rose Robin and Bassian Thrush were also heard in rainforest, and a group of Varied Sittellas were hanging out near the treecreepers. Full list for Royal at the link.
Ashwin Rudder

Sat 15 Mar Rufous Fantail Greenwich
Some migrants moving through the city: this morning a local patch of bush [below Vista St] provided a Rufous Fantail, an immature Golden Whistler [m.], and about 10 Tasmanian race Silvereyes.
Ted Nixon

Black Kite (5) Ballina Waste Management Centre
First Black Kites I have seen in the Northern Rivers since early November.
Hans Wohlmuth

Wed 12 Mar Spotted Harrier (1) Gallans Rd, Ballina

Hans Wohlmuth

Mon 10 Mar Osprey Wallaga Lake
Seen from rest area near the bridge, flying west with catch in talons. I have only just checked the bird list for the lake and noticed that the Osprey is not listed. Photo in link.
Shorty Westlin

Sun 9 Mar Oriental Cuckoo Field of Mars Reserve, East Ryde
An adult male Oriental Cuckoo was a most surprising addition to my patch list this morning. Observed for 10 minutes in eucalypts north of the boardwalk near the t-junction with the Kunzea Track around 7:45am. Heavily barred underparts, slate grey upperparts and yellow eye-ring, as well as large size all evident. A nearby Fan-tailed Cuckoo provided an interesting comparison with the Oriental Cuckoo appearing almost twice the size of its counterpart. The bird was very mobile, flying between trees and was eventually lost from view, but still likely to be in the reserve.
Max Breckenridge

Sat 8 Mar Red-tailed Tropicbird Cudmirrah Beach
Excellent views of an adult Red-tailed Tropicbird circling o'head for several minutes before it flew off to the north along Cudmirrah Beach. I am familiar with this bird as I have visited Norfolk and Lord Howe Islands many times.
Kevin Mills

Birdline New South Wales is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birdlife Southern NSW and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.