birding-aus

Vietnam

Subject: Vietnam
From: Falk Wicker <>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:06:06 +1100
Hi all,

Having lived in Vietnam for a few years I can certainly understand the
frustration you would have endured, David!

Birding is very tough over there for reasons you mentioned. It is very hard
to escape a general pessimistic attitude when you encounter a prolific
illegal wildlife trade (not just birds), illegal logging, and a total lack
of law enforcement.
I must say I have never met guides over there who would excessively use
playback or feed mealworms but then again, I am not surprised this happens.

Having said all this, Vietnam still boasts amazing species, both residents
and migrants, and it's not unlikely you come across new discoveries like
Scaly-sided Merganser in Hanoi (2012, I think it was), new species for SE
Asia (Pale Thrush in 2012 in Hanoi's Botanical Garden) or range extensions
for little-known species like Grey-crowned Crocias.

Most places will be hard to bird but then you'll find exceptions like Cat
Tien or the Dalat Plateau. You will find the 'Silent forest syndrome' to be
apparent in most places but with a bit of luck and the right guides you
should be able to see a fair number of exciting species.

One way to get an idea of what's going on is to check the very informative
VietnamBirdnewsBlogspot, http://vietnambirdnews.blogspot.com.au/

Go through the older posts as well - there are a few amazing sightings and
pictures on it!

Because I still have friends over there I feel quite connected to Vietnam
and must say that (generally speaking) people are just really friendly
(though not always useful from a traveller's point of view) and it is a
very safe country to travel in! I hope others will enjoy their holidays
more but I think unless you've been to the country before or plan to spend
a couple of months over there it would be very advisable to hire a
recommended guide/birding company - it will be worth it!

Best regards,
Falk

--
Falk Wicker