birding-aus

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 10 Mar 2014 03:02:09 +1000

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 9 Mar 2014.

Sat 8 Mar Pale-vented Bush hen Sherwood Arboretum, Sherwood
On the north island. Seen from causeway walking on top of tangled weeds, there three weeks ago also pecking at white flowers
Hugh Possingham

Australasian Shoveler, Rufous Night-Heron Buckley's Hole, Bribie Island
6 Shovelers landed in front of the hide at 2pm this afternoon, it's been a while since I have seen them around these parts. Also 13 Night-Herons in a roost tree 50m to the right of the hide - the most I've counted here. Something in the tree disturbed the birds, half flew out of the tree and landed in the water, the rest stood on the outer branches looking back into the tree, didn't see what spooked them.
Ged Tranter and Rick Franks

Black-necked Stork Minnippi Parklands, Tingalpa
Male present on the lake mid-morning,found earlier by Colin Reid & Rob Dougherty. Also 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles around the lake for a while.
Stuart Pickering, Colin Reid & Rob Dougherty

Broad-billed Sandpiper Port of Brisbane Wader Roost - Fishermans Island
At least four individuals were at the roost at high tide this afternoon.
Chris Wiley

Wed 5 Mar Masked Owl Near intersection of Mt Samson Rd and Old Mt Samson Rd
Was driving to work this (before dawn) and passed a 'tyto' owl on a roadside guide-post, hurriedly turned around and got a brief look at the bird before it flew off. It seemed rather-large for a Barn Owl, the upperparts seemed rather dark in the headlights and I'm sure that the underparts were not white but a light-brownish. I also noted that it's legs seemed stout and not 'splindly' as a Barn Owl which are fairly common in the area. Grass Owls can also be seen reasonably close to this site but I feel fairly confident that it wasn't this species. ( coords -27.308955,152.843416)
Tom Tarrant

Collared Sparrowhawk Hampton Road. Esk. Qld.
Male adult Collared Sparrowhawk. Repeat sightings 6am-9am till chased away by Magpies , Butcherbirds , and a Willie Wagtail.
Anthony Barnard

Little Eagle Hope Island
Pale morph Little Eagle seen this afternoon above Santa Barbara Rd adjacent to the shopping centre. Relentlessly pursued by Torresian Crows and Australian Magpies. The Eagle was driven off to the North.
Todd Burrows

Tue 4 Mar Crested Shrike-tit Durikai State Forest
A pair of Crested Shrike-tit posed beautifully near our campsite at the three way junction about 2 km south of the old wooden gates on the Cunningham Highway. In low shrubs stayed put for about 5 minutes allowing exceptional views. Interesting that this species occurs here. Was quite a bonus.
Peter Valentine

Mon 3 Mar Plum-headed Finch Ti Tree Bioenrgy Facility, Willowbank
A flock of around 20 Plum-headed Finches were seen in the rank grass and dead trees at the end of the dam yesterday. No sign of the previously reported Black Falcons, and the Black Kites which were present here last year have moved on.
Elliot Leach

Sat 1 Mar Franklin's Gull Lake Barambah (Bjelke-Petersen Dam)
The Franklin's Gull was on the bank opposite the boat ramp Saturday, 1st March, when we first arrived (12pm) and still there when we had to leave (3pm). It spent most of the time preening, took two very short flights and a bath in the lake. Appeared healthy. It was mostly in loose company of 6 Silver Gulls and 10 Caspian Terns.
Nikolas Haass & Raja Stephenson

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Southern Queensland and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.