birding-aus

East Gippsland is worth a visit at the moment

Subject: East Gippsland is worth a visit at the moment
From: Janine Duffy <>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 13:24:45 +1100
Hey B-a

East Gippsland (far eastern Victoria, from Lakes Entrance to the NSW border) is going nuts with birds at the moment.  If you have a spare weekend, consider going over - not just for the Beach Stone-curlew, there's so much else going on!

In the last month there has been the following sighted:
Beach Stone-curlew at Mots Beach, Marlo - many sightings over the last few weeks.
Erect-crested Penguin at the Skerries, off Wingan Inlet, east of Cann River
Ground Parrot at Frenchs Narrows, east of Marlo
Spotted Harrier on Buchan-Orbost Rd
Lewin's Rail at Frenchs Narrows, east of Marlo
Beautiful Firetail at Cape Conran, east of Marlo - 2 separate sightings
Pilotbirds at Cape Conran, east of Marlo - at least 2 separate sightings
Peaceful Dove at Mallacoota airfield
White-headed Pigeon at Marlo - seen several times
Osprey at Gipsy Point, near Mallacoota
Sooty Oystercatcher at Bastion Point, Mallacoota
Masked Owl on Wangarabell Rd, near Genoa (list not published yet)
Satin Flycatcher, Mallacoota (list not published yet)
Eastern Reef Egret & Tawny-crowned Honeyeater, Betka Beach, Mallacoota
Azure Kingfisher at Double Creek, Mallacoota and Frenchs Narrows, Marlo
Southern Emu-wren at Cape Conran and Frenchs Narrows - 2 separate sightings
Double-banded & Hooded Plover at Cape Conran

All this and there's not even any lists between Cape Conran and Mallacoota in the last month.  What else is out there to discover????

Not to mention all the 'normal' sightings of Rose Robin, Black-faced Monarch, Large-billed Scrubwren, Brown Gerygone in the rainforest gullies of Cabbage Tree Palms/lagoon and around Gipsy Point and Mallacoota.

Don't be too troubled by the fires - Orbost, Buchan, Marlo and Mallacoota are still open and safe.  There are lots of nice motels, a great B&B at Newmerella, and even some very cheap pub accommodation in Orbost.

Janine
PS I have no vested interest in any of the services mentioned and I'm not trying to sell anything - I just love the area, and was so impressed on my last visit that I want to share the love!
--

JANINE DUFFY Director Marketing ECHIDNA WALKABOUT PO Box 370 Port Melbourne,  Victoria  3207  AUSTRALIA
E:      Web: www.echidnawalkabout.com.au