birding-aus

National Parks - "National"?

To: Peter Morgan <>, "" <>
Subject: National Parks - "National"?
From: Graeme Stevens <>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 15:38:08 +1100
You may be correct Peter that "National" has such historical validity and I am
in no position to disagree.

I guess I was less interested in interfering with the title and more concerned
for community understanding and awareness when individual State Governments are
tempted to interfere with "their" State owned and managed "National Parks" when
short of cash or subject to minority pressure groups (e.g. for hunting,
logging, gas and mineral exploration etc.).

It just seems the conservation battle needs to be waged repeatedly, on many
state fronts and on the same or similar issues. As we all know,  each valid and
worthwhile environmental fight only gets one loss. "The other side" can suffer
multiple losses if necessary, regroup and fight again.

But yes, glad we have 'em whatever we choose to call them.
(I wish they were as easy to manage as they were to declare though)

Good birding
Graeme