birding-aus

Race Affinis Gull-billed Tern in Victoria

To: "" <>, Steve Davidson <>
Subject: Race Affinis Gull-billed Tern in Victoria
From: Tim Bawden <>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 20:59:45 +1100
Hi all
Reporting this as it may be of some interest to Victorian Birders.
Last weekend I observed a Gull-billed Tern in a roost of 48 GBT's at Stockyard
Point in Westernport Bay that was clearly different - being smaller, certainly
shorter and finer and in non-breeding plumage as opposed to its friends. I
suspected it was the Asian migratory subspecies affinis but my attempts to
photograph it resulted in me slipping in the delightful mud and scaring the
flock.
Enter Steve Davidson who today photographed the bird which confirmed it to
indeed be subspecies affinis. My understanding is that this is one of a handful
of Victorian records of this subspecies so certainly worthy of a look-see if
you are in the area.
Good numbers for Victoria of macrotarsa GBT and Far Eastern Curlew as well as
other waders make it worth a visit anyway.
CheersTim
PS - be wary of the mud :-)