birding-aus

Red-rumped Swallows on Tinaburra Peninsula, Atherton Tablelands, Qld

To: "Alan Gillanders" <>, "Birding_Aus" <>
Subject: Red-rumped Swallows on Tinaburra Peninsula, Atherton Tablelands, Qld
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 12:12:18 +1100
Hi Alan, depending on where you were and time of year the streaked swallows you saw in Indonesia are just as, or more likely to have been, the non-migratory Striated Swallow. They are slightly larger and more heavily streaked but safest way of distinguishing them from Red-rumped Swallow is the colour of the underwing coverts; orange-rufous in Red-rumped, white in Striated. Did you see that character? There are other more subtle distinctions such as extent of collar but I'd have to look up my notes to be more explicit. Red-rumped Swallows don't usually depart Australia until end of March so you and others should be able to enjoy them for a while yet. This species seems less frequently reported in recent years but a BARC submission isn't required. If you have any photos I'd like to see them.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136