birding-aus

worldbirdinfo

To: <>
Subject: worldbirdinfo
From: "John Penhallurick" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:00:45 +1100
Hi Friends,

I was hoping that I could cotinue working on my website untilo I was eighty.
But bulbar-onset Motor Neurone Disease has put paid to that. It is a
horrible disease: in one year it has destroyed all ability to produce
intelligilbe speech,and 98% of my swallowing.  As you can imagine, this has
wrewcked my social life.  And noe it has started to affect my limbs. It has
started destroying the motor neurones that control my right foot, and I
expect the next target wil be my right hand & arm.

So Ihave to make some decisions about what to do with my website.  Ihave
almosy fiished updating the Movements field for the Chsradiidae and
Svolpacidae, because movements are very impotant for these groups.

I added photos or images and calls for almost all of them. Check it out and
let meknow of any species that Ihave mixed.

One consequece of my short remaining time (and the MND is extremely
variable- I don't know whether it wil kill me in six months or four years)
is that I have decided to abandon the original aim of providing full
synnymies for all generic,subgeneric,species and subspecies names. In
principle I'lljust give the citations always, plus any synonymd mentioned in
Peters.Using sources like Ridgway's Birds of North and Middle America takes
a lot of time, as the synomies are organized by names, not chronology.  I
will not attach calls where they are relatively uni,portant in indetifying a
species eg: the Trochiidae.

I'll keep you posted on progress, and I will have to notiff a change of ISP.
My present ISP charges $250 a month, and the website would disapar a mnth
after my death.

Dr John Penhallurick

86 Bingley Cres

Fraser A.C.T. 2615

Australia

email:

Phone: Home (612) 62585428

Mobile:0408585426

sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt Aeneid Book 1,line 462  "The
world is a world of tears, and the burdens of mortality touch the heart."

Magna est veritas et praevalet Vulgate, Book of Edras

The legitimate object of government is to do for a community of people
whatever they need to have done, but can not do at all, or can not so well
do, for themselves-in their separate, and individual capacities. Abraham
Lincoln

"It's good to look beyond the bounds of accepted ideas" James
Peebles,Princeton University

Please visit my website: http://www.worldbirdinfo.net
<http://www.worldbirdinfo.net/>