birding-aus

Oriental Plover at Altona, Victoria - any update???

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Oriental Plover at Altona, Victoria - any update???
From: Jenny Spry <>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:25:38 +1100
Hi Peter,

There is no fee to walk past the homestead to the beach where one could
walk around Point Cook to the north and on up to the mouth of the creek. I
think there is a fee if you want to see inside the homestead. The gate to
the Point Cook area and Cheetham lookout closes at 1700.

The bridge and many other tracks and boardwalks were for when the saltworks
were in operation and allowed workers access to the ponds. Access to the
Cheetham Saltworks is not permitted without asking at the Point Cook
Reserve office at the entrance to the coastal reserve on Point Cook Rd. I
have found them to be very friendly and helpful. I think one of the reasons
they want to know who is in the area is because the entry gate is locked at
1700 and if anyone was walking in the Cheetham area without the knowledge
of the rangers they could end up having there car locked in for the night.

Someone was looking for the OP yesterday morning but I don't know if they
found it. I looked for the strange (AGP?) plover on Wed and yesterday but
it was not at the entry track roost or on the rocks on the rising tide.

cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/