birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>, <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 01:25:05 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, January 13, 2014 to Sunday, January 19, 2014:

Area: SA

Date: Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Location: Kangaroo Island

Fork-tailed Swift (Apus pacificus) (c 350) swooping low over boat, hawking
insects, soft vocalisations heard, eventually trailed away to N, flying over
Investigator Strait, c 15 km N of Emu Bay, Kangaroo Island, 14 Jan 2014.
Arrived in two large flocks, first one c 200 birds; second one c 150. Extremely
hot, heavy cloud, stormy conditions. Reported by Snow Dennis.

Reported by: Chris Baxter on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Date: Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Location: On our (burnt-out) property at Rockleigh

Black Kite (Milvus migrans) (12) Almost every square inch of our 40 hectare
property, buildings excepted (saved by local firefighters), is now black.
Almost all older trees and shrubs are burnt to some extent, but many should
recover. Plantings over the last 2 years are probably lost. Lightning started
the fire close to our boundary, and the fire has now burnt out 4500 hectares
over a large area. We are safe. This afternoon 22 raptores circled very high
overhead, reminding us of black vultures. There were at least 12 black kites
(first sighting for this species) and at least some of the rest were brown
falcons.

Australian Pipit (Anthus australis) (1) Pipits are normally seen in grassland a
long way from our shed. This pipit had no grass left, but managed to find a
small unburnt spot directly behind the shed (almost our only unburnt patch) and
took up residence under an Acacia, with 3 singing honeyeaters.

White-plumed Honeyeater (Lichenostomus penicillatus) (1) We rarely see these,
but one was fossicking in a tree in a really hot spot. Many old eucalypts with
hollows are still on fire and anywhere near them is extremely hot.

The best birding spot has always been in the  gully on our western boundary,
inaccessible to vehicles, which had a dozen huge old eucalypts till today. The
fire did not spare them. Some were still on fire with hot embers or flames,
lots of fallen branches, so how much will remain when the fires are at last out
is anyone's guess.

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Date: Thursday, January 16, 2014

Location: Whicker Rd Wetland Gillman

Ruff (Philomachus pugnax) (2) Two Ruff present both birds in view at same time
but not on same mudbank, very wary first species to take flight if approached
too closely.

Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) (1) Seen flying low along Whicker Rd with
prey (Welcome Swallow) and then plucking kill in a roadside tree.

Reported by: William Brooker on Thursday, January 16, 2014