birding-aus

Philip Island RFI

Subject: Philip Island RFI
From: Joe Gilmour <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 22:28:47 +1100
On 15/01/14 04:00,  wrote:
------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:06:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Gary Davidson <>
To: birding-aus <>
Subject: [Birding-Aus] Philip Island RFI

I am staying with friends on Philip Island for three or four days. Does anybody
on this list live on Philip Island? Or does anybody regularly go birding here?
or does anybody know someone who lives or birds here???
Thanks,
Gary

Hi Gary,

I stay on PI a bit. There is some birding to be had but not a great deal. The places I like are:

Swan Lake, which is just before you get to the Penguin parade turn left towards a B&B and park there, there is a walking track that takes you to a couple of hides that overlook the lake. Normally nothing terribly exciting but I did see a Buff-banded rail in the swampy area last week. If you go at dusk the Shearwaters come in.

The Nobbys. Continue past the Penguins and head up to the Nobbys. A good place to see Kelp Gulls. When you get there you can do the normal stuff there but when you leave, head around the round about and take a left before you go back around to the centre and then take the gravel road, there are some lookouts of the water and you'll get good views of both Kelp and Pacific for comparison. You also see a few different birds of prey there as well. If you have a scope you sometimes get the odd Albatross visible too.

Ventnor beach. A nice walk along the beach will sometimes turn up something. You get the usual more common birds there but there were 3 Hooded Plovers there about a week and a half ago.

There are some other walking tracks around other parts of the island but I've never seen anything that exciting at any of these. Just the occasional snake.

Hope this is of some help.

Enjoy.

Joe Gilmour