birding-aus

Two species collide

Subject: Two species collide
From: "Simon and Alex Starr" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 00:23:03 +1100
Hi all,

In the last few months out birding, I've had a couple of occasions where
I've had to stop and wonder at the amazing luck or timing at seeing two
birds together in the same field of view.

The first one was whilst birding in Wyperfeld National Park in early
October. We got onto a small group of Crimson Chats (the only ones I saw in
Victoria this spring) and were following them, trying for better views. This
happened to be in the territory of a Red-capped Robin family, who were
feeding recently fledged young.  Without seeking it out, it did happen that
a male Crimson Chat and the male Red-capped Robin perched next to each other
for a few fleeting moments.  It was wonderous!!

The second moment that had me temporarily speechless was at Werribee just a
few days ago. A raptor was flying across the bay near The Spit. Because of
the location it took me a while to realise that it was in fact an adult
Spotted Harrier, usually a creature of treeless grasslands. It was well out
over the water, and was setting up all the waders and duck in the area at
the time. That was when I spotted the Arctic Skua. The Skua, clearly
thinking that this was it's own personal domain, gave the Harrier a bit of
an aggressive flyby, with a twist in the air, just to let it know who should
really be out there amongst the waves. I'm guessing I won't see those two
species interacting again in a hurry.

I wonder what interesting, unusual or just plain fantastic bird combinations
others have come across?

Cheers,

Simon Starr