birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 16 Dec 2013 03:01:40 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 15 Dec 2013.

Wed 11 Dec Grey Wagtail Alice Springs Waste Stabilisation Ponds, Northern Territory
Grey Wagtail (1) Thanks to Will Cormack who helped me find and photograph the wagtail
Richard Waring

Mon 9 Dec Freckled Duck Wyong Sewage Treatment Ponds, New South Wales
I don't know if this is truly a rare sighting, as I am from the US, but I observed a Freckled Duck at the sewage ponds on 9/12 - I glimpsed the duck only briefly, but was lucky enough to snap a photo before it went out of sight and did not reappear for the duration of my visit. Unfortunately, I could not download and review the photo until today, so I apologize for the late notice.
Jill McElderry-Maxwell

Sun 8 Dec Grey Wagtail Alice Springs Sewage Ponds, Northern Territory
Found by Mark Carter during this morning's Alice Springs Field Naturalists' quarterly water bird count. Bird subsequently seen around the "A" ponds by most other attendees (~15 people) and photographed well.
Chris Watson per Mark Carter

Sat 7 Dec Spotted Whistling-Duck Daintree River cruise, Queensland
5 seen on morning Daintree River Cruise with Ian "Sauce" Worcester.
Ian Worcester via Keith Fisher

Wed 4 Dec Yellow Wagtail Edmonton Turf Farm (France Road), Queensland
Two Yellow Wagtail on eastern section of turf farm. Distant views only, indicated yellowish supercilium, need to be checked at closer range for Green-headed.
John Grant

Wed 27 Nov Spotted Whistling-Duck Daintree River cruise, Queensland
Spotted Whistling-Duck (1) One single duck seen. Last time observed was in January 2013
Murray Hunt

Mon 25 Nov Spotted Whistling-Duck Lockhart River Sewage Ponds, Queensland
Hot, humid with approaching thunderstorm Spotted Whistling-Duck (3) 2 on edge and one in water which moved out to join the others. All adults. Observed for 10 minutes in 60x objective at 50m.
Rob Reed

Tue 19 Nov Elegant Imperial-Pigeon Cape Tribulation, Queensland
Elegant Imperial-Pigeon (1) 06.15 light poor, overcast and drizzle. Large pigeon flew overhead showing black wings and tail and a grey body. I was able to track the pigeon to a tree a short distance back off the beach. The pigeon was perched with its back to me and from this view I was able to see its grey body and dark bill. The light conditions did not allow one to see any green on wings and I was unable to get a position to see any brown under tail. (Moderators note: BARC submission has been submitted)
John Pearson

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birdlife Australia and hosted by Eremaea Birds.