birding-aus

Rock Parrots South-west WA

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Rock Parrots South-west WA
From: Jenny Spry <>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 12:03:51 +1100
Hi all,

My thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions for Rock Parrots around
Albany. I eventually found them on the golf course early one morning
(0500). By 0600 the bird were gone though because the golfers came out and
took over the course.

All birding was a real struggle for the whole week I was there though
because there was a strong wind warning in force for the whole time. And
worse, the wind was from the south-east so there was no shelter anywhere
along the coast.

I briefly got onto a Western Whipbird, race *nigrogularis*, at Two People
Bay in the heath beside the car park and then found a second one, race
*oberon*, in trees beside the road 65 km east of Jerramungup.

At Esperance I found the *grisea* race of Cape Barren Goose beside the
wetlands behind town before we headed east to Cape Arid to look for Western
Ground Parrots. We dipped on these BUT we did hear them calling. They even
called really close to us but, like the Noisy Scrubbird does at Cheyne
Beach, they kept well hidden.

I also spent some time watching a family of magpies and was interested to
find that their calls were different from what I hear around Victoria. But
all the birds were special because it is so long since I have been in that
area. Carnaby's Black Cockatoos fed quietly beside us at Cheyne Beach, a
Collared Sparrowhawk was nesting near the road to Betty's Beach and
Black-tailed Native-hens swarmed over Fisheries Road east of Esperance. It
was even nice to see and hear the Laughing Doves in Perth again.

cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/