birding-aus

South Coast Track - Tassie

To: Vivien Rolland <>
Subject: South Coast Track - Tassie
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:48:50 +1100
On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 10:58:03AM +1100, Vivien Rolland wrote:
> I will be hicking along the south coast track over christmas -
> from Melaleuca to Cockle creek. I have never been to Tassie so I
> will obviously be after endemics but in more general terms I would
> really appreciate any advice or tip you are willing to share!

The most interesting birding is around Melaleuca so you might want to
overnight in the huts there.  If you aren't overnighting at Melaleuca and
your flight comes in the middle of the day you should allow several hours
to see an Orange-bellied Parrot visit the feeding table.  We didn't have
to wait that long, but the volunteers said someimes no birds came to the
table in the middle of the day.  The walk to Point Eric isn't difficult
so you can comfortably arrive at Point Eric late in the day.

Assuming you are suitable equipped & experienced the South Coast Track
is amazing.  I wished we'd allowed extra days for a side-trips into
Louisa Bay and an ascent of Preciptous Bluff.  Anything you can do to
reduce the weight of your pack - while still being equipped for bad
weather including snow - is worthwhile.

Various people have posting to birding-aus accounts of where to find
all the other endemics near Hobart, e.g.:
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2012-09/msg00254.html

Andrew