birding-aus

Best places to see Sanderlings, Victoria

To: "'Lynne Kelly'" <>, <>
Subject: Best places to see Sanderlings, Victoria
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 20:15:37 +1100
Hi Lynne,

There are two reasonably reliable places to see them in Victoria. The first
is Kilarney Beach near Port Fairy. There is another spot, though, much
closer to Melbourne - and that is Black Rock Reserve near Barwon Heads
(sometimes known as 13th Beach, as it is near the 13th Beach Golf Course).
Enter these coordinates into Google Maps to see the location:
-38.282795,144.426418. The site is also good for Pacific Golden Plover and
Ruddy Turnstone. I've seen Hooded Plover here too, but they are usually
found about a kilometre to the west of this site where the nesting sites
have been roped off from the general public.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria