birding-aus

Need HELP with boot fetish

To: "Birding" <>
Subject: Need HELP with boot fetish
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 12:13:22 +1000
Greetings,

The boots are mine but the fetish belongs to a male Bush Stonecurlew. It
started when they were nesting in the driveway, another inconvenience, and I
had hoped it would stop once the youngsters hatched. The bird drags my boots
from beside the door and from the boot rack as well. It is only the male and
yes I have watched him doing it. I have now become so sensitised that I can
hear the boots being dragged even if watching the rugby on television. If only
he left them on the patio it would be OK but now with the storms about I am not
happy to find my boots full of water before I start the day.

I have tried throwing the boots at him as a means of deterrent but without
success. He only takes my boots from the rack, not my shoes or those of Maria.
He has once removed my crocs and this was after I had worn them and used spray
on personal insecticide. It may be that the fetish is not with my foot odour
but with that of the insecticide. A change in brand however has not produced a
change in behaviour.

I don’t really need help as I find it quite amusing but if anyone has any
suggestions or comments they would be most welcome. Birds are such strange
creatures; almost as strange as those who observe them!

Regards,
Alan

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road