birding-aus

BirdLog apps-- world vs regional versions

To: "" <>
Subject: BirdLog apps-- world vs regional versions
From: Mat Gilfedder <>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 12:36:16 +1000
Hi all,

BirdLog is used to enter sightings directly into eBird from an ios or android
device.

The regional versions have smaller master lists of species, and would in theory
run faster.  When you have access to internet or wifi this doesn't seem to
matter much as the app gets the local area species for your list.

I like entering abbreviations for species instead of scrolling up and down long
lists.

The differences start to show when you have no internet access (e.g. When you
visit overseas with your telstra phone and data turned off, or when you are out
of phone range in the desert somewhere).  You can still enter an offline
checklist, with accurate gps location, but you will be choosing birds from a
much larger list with the WORLD version than with a regional one.
E.g. If you see Black-throated Honeyeater, and type BTH into BirdLog:
with WORLD you will need to choose between 9 species of hummingbird, trogon,
huet-huet, etc
With ANZ you will just see 1 species ( Black-throated Honeyeater).

Through my volunteer work with eBird review in Australia, I helped test the app
when it was first released, and use it all the time now.

Cheers
Mat

Mat & Cathy Gilfedder
Wildlife photography