birding-aus

SYDNEY PELAGIC TRIP REPORT - NOVEMBER 10, 2013

To: Chris Melrose <>
Subject: SYDNEY PELAGIC TRIP REPORT - NOVEMBER 10, 2013
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 23:05:25 -0800 (PST)
Hi Chris,

The problem with your approach is that we would possibly look at a mix of two
taxa without knowing how to tell them apart. It would be better to study known
populations. The issue with albatross, however, is that they wander around and
only two age groups are easy to document: nesting adults and chicks at their
breeding colonies. It would definitely be good to carefully photo-document any
banded or otherwise marked bird. If it then turns out that that particular
individual was banded as a chick on its nest, then you have proven evidence for
the taxon and age of that individual. So you can correlate your documented
phenotype to taxon and age. The question here is if you get enough cases to end
up with statistically significant meaningful data.

Best wishes,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Brisbane, QLD