birding-aus

Possible White-browed/Masked woodswallow hybrid

To: Nathan <>
Subject: Possible White-browed/Masked woodswallow hybrid
From: Vivien Rolland <>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 19:17:58 +1100
Hi Nathan,

Thank you so much for posting your message and these references -  they are
quite interesting indeed!

I had a look at the part of "Boom and Bust" by Libby Robin, Robert Heinsohn and
Leo Joseph which deals with White-Browed and Masked Woodswallows.
I cite page 212 and 213: "Hybridisation, however, has been rarely reported
either by direct observation of mixed pairs at nests or from possible hybrid
specimens in museum collections. On balance the evidence that they hybridise is
tenuous although some low frequency of hybridisation cannot be ruled out. Even
more remarkably, in a survey of ecological differences among closely related
pairs of bird species in south-eastern Australia, these were the only two that
could not be separated at all. And finally, their vocalisations are also
essentially indistinguishable. This almost certainly is a unique feature of
this pair of birds. I know of no reference to any other pair of bird species as
different in appearance as these two are for which it is so hard if not
impossible to distinguish vocalisations."

Cheers,
Viv