birding-aus

Unknown Shorebird

To: Peter Shute <>, Mark and Amanda Young <>, "" <>
Subject: Unknown Shorebird
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 15:43:09 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Peter,

I cc'd this to Tony Palliser (BARC) and Roger McGovern (NSW ORAC).

BARC = Birds Australia Rarities Committee; here you can find the review list,
the results and further information:
http://www.tonypalliser.com/barc/barc-home.html

NSW ORAC = NSW Ornithological Records Appraisal Committee; NSW ORAC (and also
the other state committees) deal with more local rarities. Current NSW ORAC
review list:

NSW ORNITHOLOGIAL RECORDS APPRAISAL COMMITTEE (ORAC)
REVIEW LIST
(Revised February 23, 2013)
The following list comprises birds that are considered rare in NSW based on
reported observations over a preceding ten year period to a maximum average of
1.5 records per year. NSW ORAC encourages anyone sighting these species to take
comprehensive notes, photographs where possible and to supply substantiation by
other observers where appropriate. Details of the sighting should be forwarded
to the Secretary of NSW ORAC by way of an Unusual Record Report (URR) Form
available electronically from the Secretary, Roger McGovern, at
roglou_at_bigpond.net.au.
This list does not include any of those species on the Birdlife Australia
Rarities Committee (BARC) Review List. In order to maintain consistency with
the BARC Review List, the NSW ORAC Review List is based on the IOC taxonomy.
Common Ostrich Struthio camelus (1)
Cape Barren Goose Cereopsis novaehollandiae
Raja Shelduck Tadorna radjah
Cotton Pygmy Goose Nettapus coromandelianus
Green Pygmy Goose Nettapus pulchellus
Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata
Garganey Anas querquedula
Fiordland Penguin Eudyptes pachyrhynchus
Macaroni Penguin Eudyptes chrysolophus
Southern Royal Albatross Diomedea epomophora
Northern Royal Albatross Diomedea sanfordi
Sooty Albatross Phoebetria fusca
Light-mantled Albatross Phoebetria palpebrata
Salvin’s Albatross Thalassarche salvini
Grey-headed Albatross Thalassarche chrysostoma
Southern Fulmar Fulmarus glacialoides
Blue Petrel Halobaena caerulea
Salvin’s Prion Pachyptila salvini
Kerguelen Petrel Aphrodroma brevirostris
Soft-plumaged Petrel Pterodroma mollis
Mottled Petrel Pterodroma inexpectata
Cook’s Petrel Pterodroma cookii
Grey Petrel Procellaria cinerea
Little Shearwater Puffinus assimilis (2)
Grey-backed Storm Petrel Garrodia nereis
White-bellied Storm Petrel Fregetta grallaria
Pied Heron Egretta picata
Great Frigatebird Fregata minor
Red-footed Booby Sula sula
Black-faced Cormorant Phalacrocorax fuscescens (3)
Red Goshawk Erythrotriorchis radiatus
Red-backed Buttonquail Turnix maculosus
Black-breasted Buttonquail Turnix melanogaster
Oriental Plover Charadrius veredus
Asian Dowitcher Limnodromus semipalmatus
Little Curlew Numenius minutus
Common Redshank Tringa tetanus
Little Stint Calidris minuta
Long-toed Stint Calidris subminuta
Red-necked Phalarope Phalaropus lobatus
Oriental Pratincole Glareola maldivarum
Fairy Tern Sternula nereis (4)
Bridled Tern Onychoprion anaethetus
Roseate Tern Sterna dougalli
Black-naped Tern Sterna sumatrana
Flock Bronzewing Phaps histrionica (5)
Squatter Pigeon Geophaps scripta
Torresian Imperial Pigeon Ducula spilorrhoa
Purple-crowned Lorikeet Glossopsitta porphyrocephala
Bourke’s Parrot Neopsephotus bourkii
Elegant Parrot Neophema elegans
Orange-bellied Parrot Neophema chrysogaster
Scarlet-chested Parrot Neophema splendida
Double-eyed Fig Parrot Cyclopsitta diophthalma
Australian Swiftlet Aerodramus terraereginae
Thick-billed Grasswren Amytornis modetus (6)
Purple-gaped Honeyeater Lichenostomus cratitius
Black-eared Miner Manorina melanotis
Banded Honeyeater Cissomela pectoralis
Dusky Honeyeater Myzomela obscura
Banded Whiteface Aphelocephala nigricincta
Red-lored Whistler Pachycephala rufogularis (7)
Shining Flycatcher Myiagra alecto
House Crow Corvus splendens
Pink Robin Petroica rodinogaster (8)
Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica
Canary White-eye Zosterops luteus
Metallic Starling Aplonis metallica
Song Thrush Turdus philomelos (2)
Olive-backed Sunbird Cinnyris jugularis
Painted Finch Emblema pictum
Black-throated Finch Poephila cincta
NOTES:
1) except for the known population in the Barham region
2) except for Lord Howe Island
3) except for the far South Coast
4) except south of Sydney
5) except for the Upper and Lower far western region of NSW
6) except for the known population near Packsaddle
7) except for Yathong, Nombinnie and Round Hill
8) except for the far South Coast and the Southern Highlands

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Brisbane, QLD