birding-aus

Boobook splits

To: "David James" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Boobook splits
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 08:48:18 +1000
David,
I find the statement, "I think it is unlikely that Reindt will recommend splitting lurida because the calls of lurida are indistinguishable from boobook," amazing in the part about the calls. I don't have the best of ears but they sure sound different to me. It has previously been suggested on this forum that as lurida will respond to the calls of boobook it is thus the same bird. For anyone chasing Rufous Owl in the Tolga Scrub, play Masked Owl to get a response from the Rufous.

The birds are different not only in their appearance but their behaviour too, or so it seems to me. Do the normal boobook do a bobbing dance in the tops of trees where they act like a jack in the box popping out in different directions while making weird gurgling noises?

Regards,
Alan

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road