birding-aus

Australian birder Stuart Stokes

To: colin trainor <>
Subject: Australian birder Stuart Stokes
From: Alastair Smith <>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 14:35:11 +1000
Following this round of emails about Stuart Stokes (and deja vu),  I received
an email from David Bishop which I think is worth posting here.

David wrote, 'I just happened to see your post whilst back in Port Moresby
after leading a VENT tour of PNG. I knew Stuart back in the late 70s and early
80s and he claimed then to have the biggest list in the world. Mad his money as
developer getting Kuala Lumpur going after the war and in part Singapore. Got
into birding as a Commander on the Russian convoys during WW11. Had a home in
Perth, WA but was indeed and englishman. Must have been in his 70s when i knew
him and quite a nice if excentric gentleman - got refused entry to Gateway
Hotel in PoM because of his appearance -- he had fallen over in a burnt over
field. So he found his way in the backway; bought the hotel and sacked the
manager!

BIRDLINE ACT

Please report all interesting sightings of birds in the ACT to
www.eremaea.com/birdlinerecentsightings.aspx?birdline=11