birding-aus

Military training areas and Conservation -Unexploded Reality

To: Greg and Val Clancy <>, Robert Inglis <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Military training areas and Conservation -Unexploded Reality
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 07:32:57 +0000
The last time I visited Lamington NP (along the drive up to Binna Burra via
Beechmont Rd) I saw three Black-breasted Button-quail feeding along the
roadside. When I stopped, the birds moved off under a fence into some Lantana
thickets (see http://tinyurl.com/lztbo4t). Here a large sign on the fence read
'Danger - Military Range. Laser hazard. Live bombs.' I thought about following
them across the fence ... mmm...  no....  it was getting late and I needed to
set up my tent.

The fence was the boundary of the Canungra Military Area, a large area of
forest and schrubland. I wouldn't be surprised if it preserves perfect habitat
for Black-breasted Button-quail. Perhaps worthy of a formal survey.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby