birding-aus

Disabled birders and wildlife enthusiasts

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Disabled birders and wildlife enthusiasts
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 07:49:17 +0930
Good morning Birding Aussers

We now live on twenty acres 80 km sw of Darwin.  This is a beautiful
property.  2/3 of this sloping block is relatively pristine native bush -
mainly old eucalypt forest with a grass understorey at the top and tall
closed forest at the bottom.

As we've been dealing with weeds, mainly Gamba grass, I've not had much time
to do a complete wildlife survey.  However, the bird list includes obvious
species such as  Blue-winged Kookaburra, Northern Rosella, and Partridge
Pigeon.  Passerines I've noted in passing include both Leaden and
Broad-billed flycatchers, and Rufous-banded and Rufous-throated honeyeaters.
There are also semi-tame Northern Brown Bandicoot and Brush-tailed Possum.

One sector has a grass (mainly Eriachne and Imperata spp.) and Osbeckia
australiana understorey - in all my years of carrying out biological surveys
I can't remember seeing anything quite like this.  It looks like very good
habitat for a number of species, and as soon as we've finished dealing with
the weed species I'll be spending a lot of time down there.

There are two dwellings on the property.  While "bush-built" they are still
quite liveable, but obviously we can only live in one home.  So the bathroom
of the second place is to be upgraded for disabled and ill birders and other
wildlife enthusiasts, to stay free of charge.  If Bo Beolens, the Fat
Birder, could help others, then we could too.

Having a limited income we won't be able to accommodate all the changes
needed by the most disabled, but it's a start.

Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
PO Box 71,  Darwin River,
NT 0841
043 8650 835