birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 15 Jul 2013 07:04:20 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 14 Jul 2013.

Sun 14 Jul Eastern Osprey, White-bellied Sea-Eagle Point Nepean National Park
Eastern Osprey battling strong winds heading east from Fort Nepean. White-bellied Sea-Eagle cruising across the Rip from Point Lonsdale. Australian Kestrel attacking Peregrine Falcon near Cheviot Hill.
Stuart Dashper

Australiasin Bittern Braeside Park
Single bird flushed along the track on the western side of the main lake. It flew about 400 metres and landed in a paddock just next to the waterway on the industrial estate.
Bernie O'Keefe, Hedley and Irena Earl.

Sat 13 Jul Grey Currawong Murray to Mountains Rail Trail (Tarrawingee-Everton)
A rare bird in North East Victoria, usually found in the high country. Two birds along the Hodgsons Creek, likely on winter dispersal here.
Michael Ramsey

Freckled Duck Kennington Reservoir, Bendigo
Still here.Ten birds down the southern end, foraging in front of the gazebo\bird hide.
Rustem Upton

Fri 12 Jul Bassian Thursh Sandy Point
We both saw the Thrush fly across while looking for our lost dog. After finding our dog we got some great views of it. First time we've seen one down here.
Luke and Vincent Knowles

Powerful Owl Clematis
Heard clearly along the edge of our property twice this week. Sometimes a regular visitor at this time of year. Thought to be on the edge of expanded hunting territory when breeding.
Arthur & Denise Carew

Banded Lapwing Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
2 birds located on Beach Rd heading towards Geelong from the Point Wilson Rd and Beach Rd intersection. They were found close to the road about 500 metres past the the main pond on the right hand side. Both birds were very accommodating for photos, not really worried about my presence.
Bernie O'Keefe

Freckled Duck McLeod's Waterholes, Drysdale
Freckled Duck ~300 Similar numbers last weekend also. ~30 upper lake, ~270 lower lake.
David Fleming

Thu 11 Jul Freckled Duck, Australasian Shoveler, Blue-billed Duck Woodlands Industrial Estate
Freckled Duck (6) Australasian Shoveler (5) 3 male Blue-billed Duck (3) 2 male. All in lake nearest to Braeside Park.
David Fleming

Thu 11 Jul Swift Parrot Iluka Scout Camp, 20 Shoreham Road via Shoreham
Further update regarding previous sighting. Up to 10 swifties foraging on lerp and resting in two medium sized eucalypts between the two accommodation halls at the camp on Wednesday and Thursday. Significant harassment from a mob of Noisy Miner every time they landed to rest. The same mob chased anything else that wasn't welcome either including an adult Nankeen Night-heron which flew in to perch over the small dam.
Adrian Martins

Wed 10 Jul Australasian Bittern Woodlands Industrial Estate
Australasian Bittern (1) Sighted at the Governor Rd end where the swamp ends, about 50 yards from the fence that separates this wetlands from Braeside Park. It was about 5 yards from the water in a cavity with sparse dead reeds. It took flight when it saw me and landed in the reeds at the Govenor Rd end of Braeside Pk.
David Fleming

Wed 10 Jul Black Honeyeater Uphill track off Nagambie-Rushworth Road, near Bailieston
Surprised to see a male and female feeding in the crown of a flowering tree at S36 43.840 E145 01.891 Spotted quail-thrush a few hundred metres away on the opposite side of Nagambie-Rushworth Road. Possible Chestnut-rumped Heathwren in dense low shrubs near mine.
Fiona Parkin

Freckled Duck Begola Wetlands, Ocean Grove
This wetland has recently filled with water after being dry for a period. There were at least 130 Freckled Ducks. It was a strange sight as nearly every duck was a Freckled Duck in this small wetland among the houses in Ocean Grove.
Richard & Margaret Alcorn

Freckled Duck Joyces Creek arm of Cairn Curran Reservoir
21 Freckled Duck in a raft with Black Swans @ 10.30am today. My first record at this site.
Geoff Park

Tue 9 Jul Black Falcon Epping North
Three days spent working in the Lyndarum Estate, Epping North. Includes a couple of trips down O'Herns and Vearings Rds to the west. Cold mornings followed by still, sunny days. Black Falcon (1) Clear sighting on Vearings Rd. 12/7/13. Landed briefly then disturbed by magpies before flying a long distance south. Photos. Peregrine Falcon (2) Pair in rapid flight over Lyndarum Estate. 11/7/13. Photos. White-necked Heron (3) Trio flying together.
Bernie McRitchie

Spotted Harrier Bacchus Marsh 10" Cell
Brief but excellent encounter with a Spotted Harrier quartering over farmland at Bacchus Marsh. Not particularly distressed or concerned with my close presence. My first record for this time of year locally.
David Whelan

Mon 8 Jul Red-capped Plover, Hooded Plover and Double-banded Plover Sandy Point
Today I saw 1 Hooded Plover with a flock of 7 Red-caps. Yesterday I saw again only 1 Double-banded with a large flock of Red-caps.
Vincent Knowles

Eastern Osprey Point Nepean National Park
Confirming yesterday's report of Eastern Osprey at the very tip of Point Nepean. Had fantastic views (flying over within 10m) as 2 birds circled around the cliffs of the point fishing. Often landing on the grassy island approx. 100m further west to eat the fish. Both birds observed probably juvenile with the dark brown collar present.
Nick Bradsworth

White Bellied Sea Eagle, Black Swans, Little Grebe, Coots,Pelicans Devilbend Reservoir
The white bellied Sea Eagle was soaring over my head along the first track near the picnic area. Black swans were feeding with the Coots. Little Grebes were rafting close to the shore along the Eastern Side. Pelicans were flying over the resivor and swimming on the water.
Chris Eaton

Swift Parrot lluka scout camp, 20 Shoreham Road, via Shoreham
Up to 5 swift parrot resting and feeding on lerp in eucalypts outside Warrawong hall. Spent good part of the day being chased by noisy miner.
Adrian Martins

Sun 7 Jul Australasian Bittern Edithvale Seaford Wetlands (Edithvale)
Australasian Bittern (1) Seen again from Edithvale Seaford Wetland Education Centre, less than 100m from viewing window. Well seen and photographed by around 8 visitors and Melbourne Water staff. Please be aware the Centre is open to the public every Sunday 1pm-5pm.
Chris Lunardi per Penny Baxter & Robert Glavich (Melbourne Water)

Freckled Duck Lake Lorne Drysdale
Saw 125 Freckled Duck loafing in calm water in N/W area of lake and 9 Blue Billed Duck including 2 males. The remainder were females and birds in eclipse plumage.
Trevor Lumb

Black Kite Dookie Quarry
About 250 Black Kites perching on fences on the quarry side, in the trees, wheeling about in the sky, swooping our car, etc. Large numbers have been at the quarry for at least 2 weeks.
Paul Huckett

Freckled Duck, Pink-eared Duck, Hardhead Begola Wetlands, Ocean Grove
Main pond is full, with almost no areas of mud remaining. Freckled Duck (65-70) At all parts of main pond. Tight against reeds, on banks, on logs, and floating in open. One observed flying across pond. Pink-eared Duck (8-10) Mostly spinning in feeding pairs Hardhead (5 or 6)
Russell Woodford

Eastern Osprey, Brown Skua, White-fronted Tern Point Lonsdale looking towards Point Nepean
Looking through my telescope from Point Lonsdale noticed a hawk on the other side gliding along the cliffs around the 3.45PM mark. Shape immediately got me going & I pointed out this bird to Scott & we agreed that this bird was an Osprey. We subsequently saw the snowy white cap, distinctive patchy underwing. Quite brownish above with flat wing profile. Mechanical jerky flight distinctive of this species. Seen a few times on the other side being chased by Pacific Gulls, it was significantly larger than the gulls. Later is was seen flying across the lower end of the bay towards Queenscliff. We watched it for some time, it progressed onward towards Swan Bay before we lost sight of it. This is a new Victorian bird for both of us. Also saw a Brown Skua flying out of the bay & then SW. 2 first year White-fronted Terns flew into the bay. Also a few hundred Fluttering-type Shearwaters, most of which appeared to be Fluttering, and about 20-30 albatrosses, both Black-browed & Shy. .
Kevin Bartram & Scott Morgan

Boobook and Spotless Crake Bendigo Sewage Ponds
One Boobook in red gums. Spotless Crake, Spotted Crake and large numbers of Pelicans.
David McInnes

Fri 5 Jul Black Falcon, Peregrine Falcon Bacchus Marsh 10' Cell
Short drive south of Bacchus Marsh on a cool, windy, but sunny morning. Kites, shelducks and sparrowhawk seen later on in the afternoon. Whistling Kite (2) Pair trying to catch a waterbird off a farm dam. Sustained effort not rewarded by the duck-diving prey. Black Falcon (1) Survived a prolonged attack from a pair of Peregrine Falcons. Sitting on the ground for a while at one stage. Peregrine Falcon (2) Pair diving many times at a Black Falcon. Calling as if protecting a nesting territory.
Bernie McRitchie

Thu 4 Jul Barn Owl Bulleen
Barn Owl Roosting in tree across the road from my place. Being harassed constantly by Noisy Miners, Magpies Wattlebirds and a Butcherbird. First time I have seen one in the area.
Owen Lishmund

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birds.