birding-aus

Night Parrot Interview this morning

To: "'Denise Goodfellow'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Night Parrot Interview this morning
From: "Simon Clayton" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 13:28:58 +1000
Hi Denise,

Thanks for your reply. It will be interesting to see how the Night Parrot
situation pans out. Your experiences are very useful information, so thank
you.
My concerns about call-playback were stimulated by a local (Clarence Valley,
NSW) Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide, who is conducting call-playback
and spotlighting tours for 4 Threatened species of Owl, in the middle of
their breeding season. I suspect he will also suggest professional jealousy
on my part, regarding that issue. Strangely, he is choosing to conduct his
tours away from tourist centres such as Coffs Harbour & Yamba, closest to
him, and compete with our conservation business instead! So we have no
business competition other than the local birding guide, who claims to be a
conservationist. Stranger than fiction! :-)

We're currently applying for a NSW Nat Parks Ecopass, and will be joining
WTA as a part of that. I hope to be in touch with that soon.

I've also recently approached Birdlife Australia, to ally ourselves and
provide an avenue to recruit more members, and give discounts. I've not
heard back yet.

Hoping to hear Masked Owl fledglings soon, their nest tree is close by, and
I'm looking forward to any noises coming from that direction. :-)

Many thanks,
Simon Clayton