birding-aus

Birds that flock in winter

To: <>
Subject: Birds that flock in winter
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 18:23:02 +1000
Writing the report for last Sunday's monthly BirdLife Australia's survey of
Melbourne Waters Eastern Treatment Plant (ETP), 23 June 2013, it was again
apparent that some species that gather there in winter may not be widely known
as forming flocks in the non-breeding season.
One is Black-fronted Dotterel. Some 4 to 6 pairs breed on the plant annually
but on Sunday we counted 162. Our count in May was 203.
White-fronted Chat has a similar breeding population but our count last Sunday
was 172.
Such numbers are not exceptional for us in winter.
For those that don't know, the ETP is situated to the SE of Melbourne. On the
other side of the bay, it is the poor cousin to the famous Western Treatment
Plant (WTP) at Werribee but is nevertheless, a significant site for birds which
can have up to 19 major water-bodies. At their peak, they attract up to 10.000
waterfowl. Currently there are >5,000.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930