birding-aus

Freckled Ducks

To: "'Valentine, Peter'" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Freckled Ducks
From: "Chris Baxter" <>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 04:13:35 +0930
Hi Peter and All

I must inform you Peter that 441 Freckled Duck at a reserve in Queensland is
not even close to the largest concentration ever found in Australia. On
Kangaroo Island, SA, which acts as a drought refuge for waterfowl, I have
observed concentrations of 500+ on several occasions on brackish paperbark
swamps-and most significantly,recorded a single flock of ca 2800, largely
exclusive of any other species, on a small freshwater wetland at Haines, KI
on 7 Dec 1980. This is recorded in 'An Annotated List of Birds of Kangaroo
Island'; Baxter 1985; revised 1995.

Cheers

Chris Baxter