birding-aus

Freckled Ducks

To: "<> Aus" <>
Subject: Freckled Ducks
From: "Valentine, Peter" <>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 12:27:13 +0000
Birdlife Australia Northern Queensland members Kath Shurcliff and Dave Houghton
reported (on Eremaea) an amazing concentration of Freckled Ducks at a reserve
in northern Queensland a few days ago. They counted 441 but conceded there were
probably more as not all of the wetland could be seen from their scope site. As
far as I can tell this would be the largest concentration ever recorded
anywhere in Australia and even more remarkable given that the species is
considered vagrant in northern Queensland - local birders get excited with
single birds at a wetland and travel hundreds of km to view them.

I would be interested to hear of any other records of such a concentration
anywhere in Australia.

Sadly, the Queensland Government is about to allow grazing into this reserve
which will certainly devastate the swamp. Kath and Dave also found thousands of
other waterfowl including >1000 Cotton Pygmy Goose, >1000 Pink-eared Duck and
>2000 Eurasian Coot. I am tempted to conclude that many are escapees/refugees
from the Victorian barbarians. Any thoughts?

Peter Valentine
Townsville

0427 634 136