birding-aus

Birding tourism

To: Andrew Wall <>
Subject: Birding tourism
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 17:13:38 +1000
Obviously further explanation is required, and 1000 apologies to Andrew.

This was supposed to be a private reply to a moderators's discussion about
commercial content, which is against the list rules. All agreed it was not only
minor, but a useful contribution to the discussion.

Regarding the "crap" birding, I'll have to justify that off the cuff comment.
I've done a lot of birding while staying in Goulburn but unable to travel far
because of family restrictions. I got a lot of ticks within 10km of Goulburn
when I started birding. But the options close in are limited because much of
the land around the town is cleared, and a lot of what's left is on or locked
in by private property.

There are a lot of really great birding locations an hour's drive or more away,
but that has been impractical for me. The few areas that I found close to town
are good for someone passing through, but I've done them to death.

That same description would apply to Altona where I live.

The "doesn't sound like birder" comment was guesswork on the part of an overly
suspicious moderator based on what I thought was a long drive to the
recommended Rockwarbler location compared to much closer ones I know of. It was
also based on a quick check on Google Maps to see where the location was, and I
may be wrong about it.

Again, many apologies to Andrew, and I hope you don't leave the list after this
particularly savage introduction. As a regular visitor to Goulburn, I'm
particularly interested in hearing reports from a local.

Sent from my iPad