birding-aus

Is bamboo bird habitat? - inner Sydney

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Is bamboo bird habitat? - inner Sydney
From: Chris King <>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 14:37:37 +1000
A new development is nearing completion over the road from me. The
developer was talking to me about what they will plant in large planter
boxes at the back of the row of new houses. These will be on concrete and
he needs plants to screen the back fence, but not too bushy. He wants to
plant bamboo but I have never seen any birds use bamboo. Birds in Backyards
says the Australian reed-warbler uses bamboo thickets but there is no water
or reed warblers around here (apart from the former creek which is now in a
concrete drain).

I am next to the proposed Greenway, so we have some planted bush we would
like the development to connect with. Its been suggested to me that wattles
to provide quick coverage planted together with a local leptospermum would
be a good solution, but I would like some confirmation that bamboo would
not provide habitat.

Thanks,

Chris