birding-aus

Hillarys Pelagic Trip (off Perth) Report - 24 March 2013

To: Birds WA E-Mail List <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Hillarys Pelagic Trip (off Perth) Report - 24 March 2013
From: John Graff <>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 12:10:51 +0800
G'day everyone, Here's a copy of the trip report from last Sunday's pelagic
trip out of Hillarys (Perth). Overall a relatively quiet trip, with no repeat
of the Streaked Shearwater action from this time last year. There was a
reasonable variety of species for a Hillarys trip but nothing too unusual and
many species didn't come in to the boat The text of the report is below, the
text with accompanying photos can also be found at
http://wabirdingblog.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/hillarys-pelagic-trip-report-24-march.html
 The next trip out of Hillarys is expected to be in August this year. There are
two trips being run out of Albany on the 4th and 5th of May, still with spaces
on both Cheers,John Participants: Alan Collins (Organiser), John Graff
(Organiser), Sue Abbotts, Robin Ashford, Martin Cake, Cheryl Davis, Rose
Ferrell, Stewart Ford, Michael Hancock, Mark Henryon, Nigel Jackett, Darryl
Jones, Val La May, John McMullan, Rob Morris, Clive Nealon, Annette Park, Robyn
Pickering, Louis Purdy, Peter Taylor, Margot Turnbull, Ray Turnbull, Peter
White Conditions: Winds were forecast to be south-easterly at 12-15knts during
the morning shifting to an 18knt southerly in the afternoon, with seas 2m and
swell of 1.5-2m. Conditions on the day were roughly as forecast. Sea
temperatures were in the range of 22-23 degrees ReportThis was the first
pelagic off Hillarys run in March, and the earliest in the year a trip has been
run off Hillarys so it was interesting to see what was about. There was no
repeat of the high Streaked Shearwater numbers from last year’s April trip and
these seem to have been a cyclone-related occurrence. Overall though it was a
reasonable trip, with 7 true seabirds recorded, along with a variety of jaegers
and terns. Unfortunately, no unusual species were seen and the majority of
species did not spend much time (if any) close to the boat. We departed the
harbour shortly after 0700 in clear conditions, and at least one person saw a
Common Bottlenose Dolphin briefly in our wake. Bird activity was almost zero
until half-way to the Rottnest line when we started picking up the first
Wedge-tailed Shearwaters in the distance, along with one or two Australasian
Gannet and some distant jaegers. The first real excitement came as a Pomarine
Jaeger flew purposefully across the bow, and as we passed to the north of
Rottnest the first Flesh-footed Shearwaters started to trail the boat. As we
cleared the eastern edge of Rottnest, activity built and several new species
were seen, including a brief but close view of a Wilson’s Storm-Petrel,
reasonable views of an adult Shy Albatross, and the first distant Bridled
Terns. At least one person also saw a distant Common Noddy and a couple of
people picked up one or two White-faced Storm-Petrels and a couple of distant
Hutton’s Shearwaters. We stopped at the 400m contour on the edge of the
Rottnest Trench and started burleying. Flesh-footed Shearwaters were on the
scene immediately, followed shortly by smaller numbers of Great-winged Petrels
and later the odd Wilson’s Storm-Petrel. The most interest came when a Common
Noddy crossed the bow (sadly it didn’t hang around), and an adult Shy Albatross
(possibly the same bird seen previously) made a pass and flew some circuits off
the starboard side.  After just over an hour, we repositioned to the
south-east, but saw nothing different so we left the trench and positioned
several kilometres north-west of Rottnest. Flesh-footed Shearwaters immediately
settled around the boat, and the odd Wedge-tailed Shearwater could be seen in
the distance. A few mid-distant Bridled Terns were seen, and a couple of
observers saw two Common Noddies. A nice Pomarine Jaeger made a close pass at
the stern but did not hang around. Two more stops off the east end of Rottnest
yielded similar species, with a few close passes from Wedge-tailed Shearwaters
and a few Arctic Jaegers. The main excitement was a large turtle considered to
be a Loggerhead Turtle which swam close to the boat for a while. We eventually
headed for Hillarys, picking up the last few shearwaters quite close to shore,
and docked at approx. 1545. Many thanks to all the participants, and to the
boat crew for their assistance. Species List [Total Count (Maximum no. seen at
one time)]
Shy Albatross 2 (1)
Great-winged Petrel 14 (5)
Wedge-tailed Shearwater 30 (6)
Flesh-footed Shearwater 200 (54)
Hutton's Shearwater 7 (2)
Wilson's Storm Petrel 10 (2)
White-faced Storm Petrel 2 (1)
Arctic Jaeger 6 (3)
Pomarine Jaeger 2 (1)
Jaeger sp. 3 (1)
Australasian Gannet 9 (3)
Crested Tern 7 (3)
Bridled Tern 25 (9)
Common Noddy 4 (2) Common Bottlenose Dolphin 1 (1)
Loggerhead Turtle 1 (1)