birding-aus

Eurasian Wigeon & Franklin's Gull update

To: Birding-Aus <>, "" <>
Subject: Eurasian Wigeon & Franklin's Gull update
From: John Graff <>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 21:48:09 +0800
Hi everyone, I've just got back from an excellent double-twitch with Nigel
Jackett, netting both the wigeon and the Franklin's. Nigel has some video of
both which hopefully we will be able to give links to, but in the meantime I
provide an update (particularly for anyone heading up tomorrow!) We arrived at
Carnarvon about 7.15am this morning and headed straight for Chinaman Pool, and
found the wigeon about 100m to the left of the 'carpark' at the end of Marmion
St. Good views with bins, very good with scope. See also Richard's update After
a quick refuel and stopping in to vote (!), we headed back for Cervantes to try
for the Franklin's Gull, arriving about 4.15 this arvo. We met Robyn Pickering
and her son Morgan, who had seen the gull in the small park near the Pinnacles
caravan park in Cervantes. This park is at the corner of Aragon and Catalonia
Streets according to Google Maps. After a bit of a search, we found the gull
again in the park where it proved fairly co-operati
 ve, still there when we left at about 5.30. As an added bonus, we picked up
600+ Fork-tailed (or Pacific depending on your taxonomy) Swifts between
Overlander and Billabong Roadhouses on the way back (more details for you later
Mike :D), mostly in two large flocks (one 200+, the other 400+). Robyn and
Morgan also had a small flock (30) south of Cervantes, and 10 overhead where
the gull was hanging around (though they were gone by the time we arrived)
Cheers,John