birding-aus

Another bivalve victim (moderated)

Subject: Another bivalve victim (moderated)
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:40:48 +0800

Geoff Jones wrote :

> I think what most of us who are concerned about the
> Cannon Netting process would like to see some independent
> observers at the Cannon netting sites. Unfortunately it
> maybe in the best interest of the participates not to
> report any injuries to the birds as it may affect their
> funding and that could been seen as a conflict of interest.
> I am sure that both parties have the welfare of birds at
> heart and it would great if we could all work together to
> ensure the survival of as many species as possible with
> minimal impact on the birds well being.

The north west wader expeditions are not a closed shop.  They are open to volunteers (everyone is a volunteer, and they pay to cover the costs).  There is no "funding" other than by the participants themselves, although the WA Department of Environment & Conservation (DEC) usually funds two overseas participants from the flyway, and DEC provides a trailer.  It is not a holiday though!!!  It is during the wet season.  They are long days.  The net set is just after dawn (usually 05:30).  You also are part of cooking teams, laundry run, cannon cleaning team, leg flag making team, etc.  You are encouraged to make short presentations after the evening meal, so it is rare to retire before 21:00.

There are outside people involved on most occasions.  There is very often an AQIS officer who takes samples for the disease testing.  The local aboriginal rangers are involved.  They also take a large control of the monthly mud sampling for invertebrates.  There are members of the public who are staying at the BBO, or sometimes day visitors to the BBO and they are encouraged to participate.  Sometimes the media is present.  At 80 Mile Beach there are regularly staff from the station who participate on their day off.  Perhaps these people are not independent enough for you, but it would be impossible to cover up any problems.  I am not a bander.  I am simply a volunteer when I join most of the expeditions.  I certainly ensure that any problems that I see are reported (but I have never had to do anything as it has always happened).

I can ensure you that all deaths and injuries are reported on the cannon net summary sheets, including birds taken by raptors on release (so there are strict controls on how to release birds).  If a bird is killed or injured, then there is discussion of what happened during the debrief in the evening.