birding-aus

Another bivalve victim (moderated)

To: Ian May <>
Subject: Another bivalve victim (moderated)
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 22:48:21 +1100
I have been reading all this discussion with alot of interest and it certainly
has caused alot of emotion to come out.
I have also been trying not to comment as I don't want to add to anyones stress
levels!

However i do find it interesting Ian that you want more scientific data, but
don't want to accept the data already there - instead you would rather trust
your own personal anecdotes/experience?
I think you also attribute too much emotion perhaps to the "pro canon netters".
They have scientific data because they are quite scientific about it rather
than emotional or anecdotal. I think that those in favour of flagging etc would
give it up at the drop of a hat if they found that what they were doing was
causing more harm than good so I'm not sure that attributing an emotional bias
towards them is very accurate.

Personally i can see both sides of the debate and I do think it is a debate
worth having, although i'm really not sure how an independent review into
mortality rates would be any different to the results obtained by the wader
studies groups?
Is any sort of study truly going to be "robust enough" to satisfy the emotions
of those so opposed to leg flagging? Quite honestly i doubt it.
What would be the mechanics of such a study? Would it be to band some and see
if they make it back next year? Isn't that what is being done already?
I am genuinely interested in an answer to this and not just trying to prolong
the debate.

In terms of the birds becoming more skittish; wouldn't it be much easier and
more likely to link this to pressure on lack of habitat and more encroachment
on their feeding grounds by people in general? Surely there is alot more of
that than Canon netting? My own anecdotal evidence would show the ratio of
birds disturbed by people/dogs/raptors at thousands to one compared with
netting/flagging. In the last 10 years I've only witnessed canon netting once
and banding of tern chicks a couple of times but in half a day photographing
waders at Shoalhaven Heads (NSW) i saw the flock put up by raptors or people at
least 10 times.

Cheers
David Stowe