birding-aus

Re. Canon Powershot SX50

To: <>
Subject: Re. Canon Powershot SX50
From: "Simon Starr" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 07:34:37 +1100
Hi Frank,

I recently purchased the same camera, with the aim of getting some bird
photos, but without having to carry heavy gear around.  I am very pleased
with the results, some of which can be seen at my facebook page for firetail
birdwatching tours.

A few things I have found in using it so far.  Firstly I have not bothered
taking photos of distant birds using the digital zoom.. There is a bar that
clearly shows you when the optical zoom ends and the digital zoom starts.
It's easy to crop the photo afterwards, and I've got great results doing
that.

When photographing bush birds at the higher magnifications, I've found its
hard to always get a crisp focus, better to zoom out a little bit more, get
the shot and again then crop it later. Its just trial and error.

There's a great feature using your left index finger on a button which will
take you back out to where you were before you zoomed in. So I've found for
fast moving bush birds, start with a low mag, find the bird in the screen ,
zoom in, then if you lose the bird use this button to take you back out.
Then when you've re-found the bird just let go of the button and it zooms
back in for you. Much easier !

Have a great trip, and I'm sure you'll come back with a swag of great
photos,

Cheers,

Simon Starr.