birding-aus

Vale Alan Jordan

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Vale Alan Jordan
From: Debbie Lustig <>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:39:10 +1100

Alan died this morning after a struggle with cancer.
I met him a few years ago. We spent a few days at the WTP, taking photographs.
He was a forthright but sensitive person with a passion for travel and birding,
which he combined in work for a travel company.
I called him a few months ago and learned of his illness. There was no question
of talking about it - Alan simply couldn't see the point, he said, thus sparing
me the gory details of what he called 'this bloody thing'. We talked a few
times when he was undergoing treatment. I wasn't aware the end was so close
until yesterday.
Only last week, we spoke about another trip to the 'Poo Farm'. I hope some of
his friends publish his bird images so that everyone can view them and
appreciate his skill. Alan did send me some images of OBPs taken in 2008. I
planned to post them on 'Save the Orange-bellied Parrot' this winter, the time
of year he had seen the birds, again at the WTP.
Instead, in his honour, I posted them today
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.448074951933157.98438.128314403909215&type=1
On our last trip to Werribee in 2011, Alan and me drove around in his
(slightly) clapped-out car. It wasn't a great day, bird-wise (certainly no
OBPs!).
But as we neared Point Wilson Road, the clouds began to blaze orange, red and
yellow. With the You Yangs' distant black hulk, the sunset was spectacular.
Alan said he was going to try for some 'decent' shots. So that's where he
stayed - Gate 5 at the end of Paradise Road (of all things), exploring the
white balance and the exposures on his camera, enjoying the very best part of
the day.
Alan Jordan was a fine bloke who passed away much too soon.