birding-aus

Where do "our" Wandering Tattlers breed and how do they get here?

To: "Chris Gregory" <>
Subject: Where do "our" Wandering Tattlers breed and how do they get here?
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 13:57:36 +1000
Yes, that is the conventional wisdom.
What is not said is from which breeding grounds do the ‘Australian’ Wandering
Tattlers come.
The statements “They cross the Pacific Ocean to Pacific islands, north-east
Australia and New Zealand” and “The Australian distribution of the Wandering
Tattler suggests arrival on the north-east coast directly from the Pacific” are
somewhat overly broad and possibly misleading, in my opinion. There is an
assumption, apparently, that the Wandering Tattlers recorded in the Port
Moresby area come there via the Solomon Islands via ‘the Pacific Ocean’. How do
we know that?  Then there is “also movement through the Torres Strait,
suggesting some may come via New Guinea”. Do any of those birds move south into
Queensland? Apparently we don’t yet know.
The statement “The Australian distribution of the Wandering Tattler suggests
arrival on the north-east coast directly from the Pacific, but also movement
through the Torres Strait, suggesting some may come via New Guinea” suggests to
me the possibility of separate flight paths to Australia for different groups
of Wandering Tattlers, possibly from different breeding grounds. How do the
Wandering Tattlers which turn up in New Zealand get there and which breeding
ground/s do they come from?

For another example, where do the Wandering Tattlers which breed around Anadyr,
in Eastern Siberia (from where, on a clear day, it is almost possible to see
Sarah Palin’s house) go for the boreal winter and how do they get there? It is
more than likely, in my opinion, that these birds are the ones which “move
through Asia” and are seen, albeit rarely, in Korea, Japan, Taiwan and E.
Micronesia. Are these some, at least, of the Wandering Tattlers recorded in the
Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea? Do these birds reach Australia or do they
stop in New Guinea or venture to the Darwin area?

For the interests of any one really interested in this topic, there is a
photograph of a Wandering Tattler on the breeding grounds around Anadyr at this
address:
(Wandering Tattler at Anadyr, Eastern Siberia.)
http://shorebirder-waderworld.blogspot.com.au/2011_08_10_archive.html

The bird appears to fitted with what looks like a geo-logger; certainly it is
more than a mere green flag. I don’t know who fitted the logger or where it and
the colour bands were fitted but it is reasonable to assume, considering the
probable difficulty of capturing Wandering Tattlers on their non-breeding
habitat that they were fitted on the breeding grounds.

I have no idea how many Wandering Tattlers have been fitted with colour bands,
flags or geo-loggers but I have not yet seen a Wandering Tattler in Australia
with any of those devices during the past 10 years I have been photographing
that species.

It seems to me that the only accurate way of finding out the answers I have
posed above would be through attaching some sort of tracking device. These days
I am of the opinion the best devices would be geo-loggers if they can be made
small enough, reliable enough and fitted safely and securely.

Of course, before we do that sort of thing we have to decide if gathering data
(knowledge) which may or may not be useful for something we can perceive of as
well as something we cannot yet perceive of is a worthy thing to do.

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld