birding-aus

Where do "our" Wandering Tattlers breed and how do they get here?

To: Robert Inglis <>
Subject: Where do "our" Wandering Tattlers breed and how do they get here?
From: Chris Gregory <>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:57:55 +1100
Got this from Australian Dept. of Environment .... site.

http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/sprat/public/publicspecies.pl?taxon_id=831#australian_distribution

Wandering Tattlers migrate southwards from breeding grounds in Siberia,
Alaska and north-west Canada for the boreal winter. They cross the Pacific
Ocean to Pacific islands, north-east Australia and New Zealand. They also
move down the Pacific coast of America. Wandering Tattlers move through
Asia and increasingly arrive in Pacific islands from August to October,
often via Korea but also via Japan and Taiwan. Adults first arrive at
Hawaiian Islands in August. They move through Samoa in August to September,
arrive in Fiji in late August, and arrive later at some other islands.
Wandering Tattlers are regular visitor to Papua New Guinea where, in Port
Moresby district, they are an uncommon passage migrant from August to
October.

The Australian distribution of the Wandering Tattler suggests arrival on
the north-east coast directly from the Pacific, but also movement through
the Torres Strait, suggesting some may come via New Guinea. They apparently
arrive in Australia from September onwards and rarely move as far west as
the Northern Territory. In New Zealand, they are recorded from September.
Some may not move far once in non-breeding areas. Most Australian records
are from Lord Howe and Norfolk Islands, in January to April. Reliable
records suggest birds begin leaving Australia in April-May. They pass
through the Port Moresby district, Papua New Guinea, in March-June and are
not usually recorded in Papua New Guinea after early May. In the Pacific,
they leave Fiji, Samoa, the Cook Islands, Gilbert and Ellice Islands and
Hawaiian Islands in April or May. In Asia, they pass through Korea in May
and are recorded from Kurile Island in May and June. They are thought to be
at the breeding grounds from late May. First-year birds regularly spend the
breeding months in non-breeding areas, and a few remain in Australia over
winter; they are also recorded wintering in New Zealand (Higgins & Davies
1996).

Any help with your theory?

Chris Gregory