birding-aus

Sooty Terns inland

Subject: Sooty Terns inland
From: Christopher Watson <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 21:02:54 +0930
G'day all,

Just thought I'd drop a quick note about the many extraordinary
seabird/shorebird records appearing on birdlines up and down the east coast
as a result of Oswald.

A lot of people have been expressing their amazement at Sooty Terns being
found in suburbs and towns many kilometres from the coast. Back in February
2011, following TC Yasi, a Sooty Tern was found in Alice Springs - about as
far from any coast as it is possible to be. From what I gather, Oswald
hasn't penetrated quite as far inland as Yasi did, but it may be worth
keeping watch for unusual birds a lot further inland.

http://comebirdwatching.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/sooty-tern-crash-lands-in-alice-springs.html

In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed that a frigatebird makes it
onto the Central Australia list one of these days.

Cheers,

Chris Watson
--
*BIRDS CENTRAL*