birding-aus

Red-footed Booby

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: Red-footed Booby
From: Allan Richardson <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 23:00:03 +1100
Hi guys,

So sorry to hear of the rain pounding southern Queensland is going through
again, but  couldn't help but notice the extraordinary, inland sightings of
oceanic tropical birds that are being reported up that way.

The weather is just starting to get worse down here today, so from reports of
Sooty Terns at newcastle it seemed a good idea to have a look over at Swansea
Heads (entrance to Lake Macquarie in Central Coastal NSW).

The ocean was bereft and Moon Island just off the coast, which is usually
pumping with bird activity, had as much bird activity as its name sake.

However, I turned and looked up and saw a bird on the coast watch tower with
dark gannet-like wings, white underparts and white tail. I got out the bins and
it had red feet, Red-footed Booby. The bird was locked onto the perch
(understandably in the wind) and did not lift its head once in the hour or so I
was there.

Red-footed Boobies are rare down this way and usually seen in late summer /
autumn pelagic trips, so was very satisfying to see. the very white underparts
and lack of white in the wings suggests that the bird is an intermediate morph
on the light end of the scale.

Happy Birding and spare a thought for our friends in QLD,

Allan Richardson
Morisset NSW