birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 28 Jan 2013 01:31:40 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 27 Jan 2013.

Sun 27 Jan Little Terns with juveniles Eastlakes Golf Course
3 juvenile Little Terns being fed by 2 adult Little Terns, confirming breeding nearby. Also seen today were : 3 Red-kneed Dotterel, 3 Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, over 30 Latham's Snipe, 1 Nankeen Night-Heron and a Rufous Whistler. Back to seabirds tomorrow - should be good at the coast !!
David Mitford

Great Knot, Eastern Curlew, Little Egret Shoalhaven Heads
Could not find the reported Oriental Plover this afternoon at the waders roost with about two hours searching, the birds were quite spread out though which made it hard. There was a Little Egret hunting along the waters edge at the northern edge of the bay, two Eastern Curlews were sighted as well as a single Great Knot (photo) close to the shore mixing with Pacific Golden Plovers and Bar-tailed Godwits that I spotted just as I was leaving.
Lachlan Hall

Turquoise Parrot Eastlakes Golf Course
A Turquoise Parrot seen on the track between the two golf courses this afternoon wet conditions. Species number 150 for me at this site. Record shot attached (3200 iso !!). Moderator's note (NH): This is an extraordinary find! However, at this location one always needs to consider an escapee.
David Mitford

White Laughing Kookaburra Shellharbour - Ron Costello Oval
After looking for and finding the Australian Painted Snipe, we found this nearly all white Laughing Kookaburra in gum trees near the football field.
Nigel and Bec Coghlan

Plumed Whistling-Duck Apsley Lagoon, south of Bathurst
After 52mm of rain overnight, the Lagoon has gone from a dry claypan to nearly 3/4 full and the waterfowl have returned in some numbers, including a small flock of about 20 Plumed Whistling-Ducks. Not much else of note at the moment... Grey Teal, Pacific Black Duck, Masked Lapwings and a single White-necked Heron at the southern end.
Tiffany Mason

Lesser Frigatebird, Sooty Tern Shelly Beach, Ballina
An adult male Lesser Frigatebird and 35 Sooty Terns seen off Shelley Beach, Ballina during wet weather.
Hans Wohlmuth

Australasian Shoveler; Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Red-necked Avocet Sydney Olympic Park, Homebush
Female Australasian Shoveler still present on Triangle Pond and 3 Royal Spoonbill and a Nankeen Night-Heron. 50 Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and 9 Red-necked Avocet at Waterbird Refuge, plus 2 each of Red-kneed Dotterel and Black-fronted Dotterel and 5 Bar-tailed Godwit. Total of 5 Buff-banded Rail seen at Triangle Pond (1) and Northern Water feature (4) but the mud present last week has been inundated by storm water - was covered up at 6:30am this morning so no other visible crakes/rails. Plenty of Little Grassbirds visible here though and calling.
Tom Wilson

Sat 26 Jan Australian Painted Snipe, Latham's Snipe, Kelp Gull, Little Grassbird, Australian Spotted Crake Proposed Marina Site Shellharbour
Lots of birders and birds at this wetland. Kelp Gull came in to have a bath on a sandspit. Australian Painted Snipe fed right in front of us. Five Latham's Snipe sighted and excellent views of Little Grassbirds, Australian Spotted Crakes, Red-Kneed Dotterels and Black-fronted Dotterels, and Pectoral Sandpiper foraging several metres away.
David and Michelle Rower, Jill Molan

Plumed Whistling-Duck, Whistling Kite, Nankeen Kestrel, White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Brown Goshawk Central Coast Wetlands (Pioneer Dairy), Tuggerah
Three hours (10.15-1315 hrs ) were spent at this drying out wetland by 28 members of the CCGBNSW. Highlights was a flock of 41 Plumed Whistling-Duck on the Dairy Swamp, 94 Australian Wood Ducks, and 60+ Masked Lapwings. Straw-necked Ibis and Cattle Egrets have returned to the wetlands, and 2 Whistling Kites, a White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Black-shouldered Kite, 2 Nankeen Kestrels and a juvenile Brown Goshawk were seen. White-breasted Woodswalows were feeding 2 young, there were 4 Australasian Pipits, 40+ White-throated Needletails constantly flew over, and a Buff-banded Rail, 4 Channel-billed Cuckoos, and Yellow-rumped Thornbills were also seen. 50mm of rain over-night should help to fill these wetlands now!
Alan Morris & 28 members CCGBNSW

Latham's Snipe, Brown Quail, Red-kneed Dotterel, Nankeen Night-Heron McPherson Rd Swamp, Gavenlock Rd Tuggerah
The Central Coast Group of Birding NSW spent 2 hours (8.15-10.15 am) at this swamp this rnorning seeing 50 species of birds. Highlights were at least 12 Latham's Snipe, 8 Red-kneed Dotterels, all the white Egrets, 1 Nankeen Night-heron, 12+ Chesnut-breasted Mannikin, 3 Bar-shouldered Dove, 2 Channel-billed Cuckoo flew over (will most now go northwards following this rain?), 3 Brown Quail were flushed and there were many Tawny Grassbird.
Alan Morris & 27 other observers

Eastern Yellow Wagtail, Australian Painted Snipe, Red-kneed Dotterel Hexham Swamp
Two Eastern Yellow Wagtails (M. tschutschensis) along the old pipeline track late this afternoon. First heard, then one bird seen only a few metres in front of the car. The second (calling) bird "dragged" the other bird away and they both flew north. A male Australian Painted Snipe also near Fishery Creek, along with one Latham's Snipe. 1000+ Black-winged Stilt, 1000+ Straw-necked Ibis, 100's of Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (c.780 counted earlier in the day at high tide), 2x Marsh Sandpiper, 2x Red-necked Stint, Common Greenshank calling and c.80 Red-kneed Dotterel (Ann Lindsey counted 91 earlier in the day). 2x Spotless Crake, 1x Australian Spotted Crake, 1x Baillon's Crake, a lone Glossy Ibis and plenty (c.40) of White-fronted Chat. The place was alive with birds! NOTE - access to this part of Hexham Swamp is now by induction only due to major rail works happening at the northern end of the swamp. I would assume that the Yellow Wagtails would be frequenting Ash Island as well.
Mick Roderick

Musk Duck, Pectoral Sandpiper, Australian Painted Snipe Shellharbour Swamp
The Australian Painted Snipe, Pectoral Sandpiper and Musk Duck are still present at the 'swamp'. Australian Painted Snipe (1) Male. Seen in pond along fenceline running 90 degrees to car park on Bass Point Tourist Rd. Musk Duck. Pectoral Sandpiper
Greg McLachlan

Oriental Plover, Swamp Harrier, Great Knot Shoalhaven Heads
Following up on Graeme Cox's report a great morning birding produced a few highlights; Oriental Plover, Swamp Harrier, Great Knot.
Martin & Penny Potter, Mathew Jones and Greg McLachlan

Oriental Plover Shoalhaven Heads Inlet
After 1 hour of searching through many Pacific Golden Plovers and other Shorebirds, Phil spotted one lone Oriental Plover in the Samphire on the southern end of the Inlet/bay (next to Comerong Island). We all agreed, it was very different to a PGP and the whiteness really stood out. I had views for 2 minutes through my scope and noticed the bird appeared nervous by our presence. Phil approached a little closer after a few minutes, and the bird started walking in a start/stop manner amongst the samphire in what looked like a confused fashion while heading west. It was then chased by Red-capped Plovers who had young with them. The Oriental Plover did not take flight but we could not relocate it as we were then looking into the sun. The bird showed a lot of white on the head and face area as well as body. It was standing upright and the neck was noticeably longer than that for Pacific Golden Plover. We noticed a light rufuous/buff colouring on the nape/neck. We could not see the feet behind the plants. The bird was seen at 2:45pm at low tide in full sun but as we were facing south east to look at the bird, it was not a glaring view as it was for the many other waders feeding in the mudflats. We also saw 6 White-fronted Chats close up feeding and a number of Little Terns. Carla Jackett
Carla Jackett, Phil Craven, Nicole Ison

Oriental Plover (NSW ORAC submission required) Shoalhaven Heads
The Oriental Plover recorded by Graeme Cox at Shoalhaven Heads yesterday was present again today. One bird was observed at the high tide roost between 8.00am and 10.30 am along with a single Great Knot, two Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, three Australian Pied Oystercatchers, Bar-tailed Godwit, Eastern Curlew, Pacific Golden Plover, Red-necked Stint, Red-capped Plover, Little Tern, White-fronted Chat, Peregrine Falcon, Australasian Pipit, Chestnut Teal, Grey Teal, Black Swan, Australian White Ibis, Australian Pelican, Masked Lapwings, Superb Fairy-wren and other assorted bush-birds. The Oriental Plover was quite relaxed and behaviours included, preening, resting/sleeping on one leg, avoiding godwits, golden plovers and oystercatchers and chasing golden plovers. Approach to the roost site was made prone to the ground, (muddy and wet) upright approach causes too much disturbance. The OP mixed with other shorebirds during the entire session. Moderator's note (NH): As mentioned before this great bird will require a submission to NSW ORAC.
Matthew Jones

Painted Button-quail Bundanoon
One Painted Button-quail, 2 Glossy Black-Cockatoos and a Little Lorikeet were the highlights of a walk along Old Argyle Rd this morning with John and Jenny Shepherd and Simon Robinson. My first PBQs and GBCs for the Southern Highlands. Birds 148 and 149 for my ever-expanding town list.
Lorne Johnson

Fri 25 Jan Fork-tailed Swifts and White-throated Needletails Tilligerry SRA, Port Stephens
25 White-throated Needletails this morning, with at least two Fork-tailed Swifts with them this am. N.B Photo taken nearby last week.
David Mitford

Streaked Shearwater north head manly
Got another 2 Streaked Shearwaters late this afternoon one bird circling with in 50 meters of blue fish point for about 5 minutes then moving on.
michael ronan

Ground Parrot Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
Ground Parrot (1) Down the 'backside' of the loop track from the carpark... about 100 meters before the turn off to Cooks Nose Pass and Griffins Trail split, I flushed it from the grass on the side of the track. It flew into the bush about 15 meters and I went around behind it and it flushed again. Very good looks.
R. Bruce Richardson

Australian Painted Snipe Shellharbour Swamp
Australian Painted Snipe is still there. Far northwest corner of the pond in the reeds then out, then in again, from about 4:30pm on to 6:30pm. Worth the wait.
R. Bruce Richardson

Oriental Plover (NSW ORAC submission required) Shoalhaven Heads
Can across this bird this morning while photographing the Pacific Golden Plover. It was located in the second bay to the south from Shoalhaven Heads caravan park. Moderator's note (NH): This amazing observation will require a submission to NSW ORAC.
Graeme Cox

Little Egret, Grey Goshawk, Nepean Weir, Penrith
Saw a white phase Grey Goshawk mingling with a group of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos then it separated and perched in a casuarina. Appears to have been using cockies as cover while hunting, something I have heard the species will do. Also observed a gorgeous Little Egret as it flew by me and heard a Little Grassbird across the river at one of the quarry ponds. Near the brewery I saw a pair of Crested Shrike-tit, a spot I've seen them at before a number of times, though they are not common. Link below provides more images from outing.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Pacific Black Duck Levenstrath Nr Grafton
200 + ducks feeding on paspalum seeds in paddock below house. Seed stems about 450mm high . Ducks only visible when neck and bill extended to reach seed heads. Ducks were ignoring juncus rushes along creek which are bearing heavy seed heads. 7.45am Light rain
warren Thompson

Glossy Ibis Tuggerah Lake, Yaralla Rd Toukley
Seven Glossy Ibis standing at the edge of the Lake at 6:00am.
Marjorie Kibby

Thu 24 Jan Marsh Sandpiper, Common Greenshank, Pink-eared Duck, Australasian Shoveler Ash Island
20 Marsh Sandpipers (one image taken at dusk attached) seen around Wader Pond at dusk. 40-50 Common Greenshank in Wader Pond, Teal Waters and Milham Pond. Also Australasian Shoveler (4), Black-tailed Godwit (3+), Pink-eared Duck (12) and one Musk Duck. Tawny Frogmouth on the sign for the wetland just after the entrance bridge to the island.
Simon Gorta, Mick Roderick, Dan Williams, Darryl Eggins

Broad-billed Sandpiper Stockton Sandspit
2 Broad-billed Sandpipers were seen at around 12:30 at the sandspit on the mudflats. They then flew to the small lagoon behind the mudflats where they fed until we left. Another poor image attached.
Simon Gorta and Ashwin Rudder

Spectacled Monarch Ourimbah Rainforest
1 sighted about 20m into the rainforest walk. It was located from a loud buzzing call it was making. Possibly a second bird was seen, but we couldn't confirm it. Poor photograph attached showing the orange going right up to the black on the face mask. Black-faced Monarch also seen.
Simon Gorta and Ashwin Rudder

Pectoral Sandpiper West Byron Waste Treatment Plant
2 Pectoral S/P's still at the wetlands, now returned to the plastic-lined enclosed "pond" near the plant works. Area enclosed by high wire fence and the mud is 75% covered in vegetation. Also still visible Aust. Spotted Crake, Baillons Crakes, Spotless Crakes, and Buff-banded Rail, in area near Interpretive Centre. .
June Harris

Aus. Painted Snipe (1), Latham's Snipe (5-6), Aus. Spotted Crake (2-3), Pectoral Sandpiper (1) Shellharbour Swamp
The male Australian Painted Snipe was found at the narrow (Northern) end of the swamp (Side near Ron Costello Oval). On the mudflats along Bass Point Tourist road there were several Latham's Snipe, a few Australian Spotted Crakes, Little Grassbirds, and a Pectoral Sandpiper behind the reeds. An Australian Hobby was also found on a burnt tree at the NE corner of the same pond.
Andrew Walker

Glossy Black-Cockatoo Jaspers Brush
Heading south east on the Princes Hwy at 10:45am, 3 GBC were seen flying north east over farm land with one bird heard calling.
Carla Jackett

Wed 23 Jan Providence Petrel Sydney CBD
An adult Providence Petrel was sitting at the International Terminal at Circular Quay, Sydney for the whole of January 23rd. It was reported to WIRES and and finally taken to Taronga Zoo Wildlife Hospital for rehabilitation. ID based on wing markings and confirmed by Taronga Zoo. Moderator's note (NH): A Providence Petrel in January is very unusual. I hope this poor guy will survive!
Joan Dawes

Spotted Harrier cnr Reece Rd & Bunya Street, Peats Ridge
Single bird seen quatering over a paddock . This is the 2nd Central Coast record for 2013 and the 4th record for the summer of 2012-13, a rare bird on the Central Coast.
Margaret and Kaye Pointer per Alan Morris

Wedge-tailed Eagle Mount Kuring-gai NSW
A pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles seen over F3 and railway from intersection of Beaumont Road & Pacific Highway at 4.15 pm They 'wind surfed' for abour 15 minutes before disappearing over the National Park
Joyce Vears

Brown Booby North Head Manly
Great views of adult Brown booby flying south into strong southerly. From north head this afternoon.
michael ronan.

Spotless Crake, Australian Spotted Crake, Baillon's Crake, Australian Shoveler Sydney Olympic Park
One Spotless, two Australian Spotted and two Baillon's Crakes were seen at the northern water feature (mud flat to right of the pier) today. All were showing well at around 7:30am, with only Spotted and Baillon's located later on in the day. The female Australian Shoveler is still present at Triangle Pond.
Max de Beer

Spotless Crake, Red-kneed Dotterel, Red-necked Stint, Latham's Snipe Sydney Olympic Park
Spotless Crake (1) Haslams Pier Red-kneed Dotterel (2) Waterbird Refuge. Red-necked Stint (1) Waterbird Refuge. Saw at about 8am pointed out to me by another birder who let me view it through her scope. Saw again on return trip at 11 when it had also been located by a guided group from Macquarie University. Latham's Snipe (1) Haslams Pier Pond [far end near main rd]. Have very poor photo!
Jenny Stiles

Tue 22 Jan Banded Lapwing, Masked Lapwing Cowra Meat Works Wetland 1' Cell
A flock of 25 Banded and 15 Masked Lapwings by a small pond. My first sighting of Banded Lapwings here.
Christopher Brandis

Tue 22 Jan Masked Owl, Glossy Black-Cockatoo, Wompoo Fruit-Dove, Regent Bowerbird Lower Pappinbarra
Masked Owls heard close in the early hours this morning, two Glossy Black-Cockatoos eating Allocasuarina torulosa, with Wompoo Fruit-Doves in Ficus macrophylla and Regent Bowerbirds competing for fruit with Olive-backed Orioles, Australasian Figbirds, Satin Bowerbirds, Lewin's Honeyeaters and Noisy Miners in a Glochidion sumatranum. Even a male Cicadabird was seen to try to get in on the feeding frenzy but was quickly chased away.
Ian Kerr

A. Painted Snipe, Pectoral Sandpiper, Osprey, A. Spotted Crake, Red-kneed Dotterel, Latham's Snipe Shellharbour Swamp
1810 hours at the same site as seen previously the Australian Painted Snipe was gloriously present and out in the open as has become usual in that little pond. It was standing in deeper water than usual, all the way up to its belly with no leg visible at all. Over the next two hours it moved around feeding and resting. When feeding it sometimes put its whole head under the water, which I hadn't seen before. At times it moved right out of the water up onto the mud in front of the reeds, although I did not notice it feeding there. When moving around or on alert it bobbed its tail up and down as it slightly extends its neck. It continued to flash it's extended raised wings at any Purple Swamphen that came within its line of site, although it seems to ignore all other species nearby (eg Eurasian Coot, Australian Spotted Crake). Pectoral Sandpiper was also there, also within the same sandspit areas as seen previously. While there with Lorraine Pincus an Osprey flew in and landed in the water in front of the sandspit of the sandpiper and proceeded to have a little wash.
Jill Molan

Baillon's Crake, Spotted Crake, Spotless Crake, Lewin's Rail Tuggerah STP
A quick stop on the way home from work around 5.40pm in drizzling rain proved very successful with all 3 crake species and Lewin's Rail feeding along the mud banks at the Tuggerah STP. Baillon's feeding with a Latham's Snipe, while Australian Spotted and Spotless were seen within 1 meter of each other at the same time while the Lewin's Rail showed in the same spot. (Moderator's Note: 3 Australian Spotted Crakes and 1 Lewin's Rail still present 23/1/13, also 21 Glossy Ibis, 4 Australasian Shoveler, 2 Musk Duck, Swamp Harrier, Brown Falcon and Grey Goshawk .AKM)
Brad Gabriel

juvenile Fluttering Shearwater Horseshoe Bay. South West Rocks
Found a shearwater on the headland of Horseshoe Bay under a light. Was easily picked up and relocated to a much quiter area at Little Bay. When returned in the morning to check to see if it had moved on we saw it fly out from the shrub we placed it under and it flew off over the ocean obviously after a much needed rest. Was most likely a young bird that had lost its way and became weak. Moderator's note (NH): This bird was initially reported as a Little Shearwater and then thought to be an Audubon's Shearwater (Tropical Shearwater) by the observer. Today (27/01/2013) I received the attached photo that shows a juvenile Fluttering Shearwater. For comparison of the features see also here (this one was taken off Wollongong, 28th Jan 2012):
Jake Webb

Southern Boobook Avoca Beach, New South Wales (Central Coast)
Three beautiful Southern Boobooks spotted in a tree together right next to our house early this morning, 22 January. Two have been identified as juveniles and the third has darker plumage (not in the photo) and so could possibly be older. I have just checked and they are still there - how lucky are we! Many thanks to Alan for positively identifying them.
Sharon Scriven

Powerful Owl Wattle Forest, Royal National Park
Plus, Bassian Thrush, Black-faced Monarch, Rufous Fantail, Large-billed, White-browed, Yellow-throated Scrubwrens, Azure & Sacred Kingfishers, Varied Sittella, Brown Gerygone etc
Neil & Judith Russill

Red-necked Avocet Avenue Beach, Kioloa, NSW
A lone Red-necked Avocet was on the beach this morning, near the Hooded Plovers with two chicks.
Margaret Hamon, Maggie Mance

Mon 21 Jan Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo Jugiong
Juv Cuckoo spotted hanging out on the she-oaks hugging the Murrumbidgee River. Other birds spotted on the River were Mistletoebirds, Rainbow Bee-eaters and Brown Falcons.
James Fong

Streaked Shearwater north head manly
Seen my 2nd Streaked Shearwater in two days this one also flying south about 150 mts off the head land.
michael ronan

Horsfield's Bushlark Bundanoon
1 bird seen in paddock by Shangri La Rd. Bird 147 for town and my first HB for the Southern Highlands.
Lorne Johnson

Eastern Reef Egret (dark morph) Proposed marina site, Shellharbour
A pair of Eastern Reef Egret was another big surprise, unusual sighting in the Shellharbour freshwater wetland at the Marina Site.
Charles Dove

Banded Lapwing Yarramundi Lane, Richmond
Banded Lapwings at the Crowleys Lane end of Yarramundi Lane, at the 'Always Greener Turf' farm.
Emma Croker

Pectoral Sandpiper, Australian Painted Snipe, Eastern Reef Egret Shellharbour Swamp
A great couple of hours with more than 50 species seen or heard. The male Painted Snipe showed well in the NW corner of the wetland just after arrival, and the Pectoral Sandpiper was easily seen along the wetland's eastern edge. A pair of grey Eastern Reef Egrets was also spotted by Charles Dove - it seems extremely unusual to see them in a freshwater wetland. Also good to see were 4 Spotted Crakes, a Baillon's Crake, and 5 Latham's Snipe. It is terrible that another good habitat is going to be lost for good. Hopefully this single Snipe can have something to say before that happens, and our environment minister will show some guts and actually protect the environment.
Ashwin Rudder

Sun 20 Jan Forest KIngfisher Nambucca Heads
Two birds sighted, one on the power lines at Hyland Park, the second in forest near the foreshore of Deep Creek.
Peter Mackey

Regent Bowerbird Berrys Lane, Fountaindale

Ruth Hopkins

Black Petrel, Buller's Shearwater, Gould's Petrel, Sooty Tern Pelagic off Port Stephens
A single Black Petrel and two Buller's Shearwaters were the highlights on the Port Stephens pelagic yesterday (yes, it was a poor cousin to Southport!). Also a Gould's Petrel and several Sooty Terns (est. 12 birds) along with the usual suspects, although Fleshy-foot numbers still down on what would normally be expected.
Mick Roderick et al

White-necked Petrel Batemans Bay 10' Cell
White-necked Petrel (1) Large black and white petrel. Very elegant flight with few wingbeats. Striking feature that caught my attention was the large white neck band that contrasted well with the very dark cap. Dark grey upperparts with presence of a darker M-like mark. Rump and tail dark grey with a narrow whitish band across the rump. Underparts white with black lining - briefly seen but black lining seemed thicker in the carpal area.
Vivien Rolland

Sat 19 Jan White-winged Black Tern Lawrence Egret Colony Swamp
Non-breeding WWBT still present with 100+ Whiskered Terns
Greg Clancy/Maree Davis and Clarence Valley Birdos

Great Shearwater (BARC submission required) Mistral Point, Maroubra
A Great Shearwater was sighted this afternoon amongst Wedge-tailed Shearwaters flying south at around 15:30, close-in off Mistral Point. Features noted were: black cap, greyish upper wing, distinctive white bar on upper aspect of tail, mainly white underwing with significant dark trailing edge and dark axillary lines. Shortly after this sighting a pod of very active False Killer Whales appeared off Mistral Point heading south. Three to four adults were accompanied by at least one youngster - the juvenile breached many times in a row which was delightful to watch. An amazing day. Working through video footage of the whales . . . Moderator's note (NH): This amazing observation will require a submission to BARC.
Ray Gobbe and Fiona Brook

Wed 16 Jan Magpie Goose Eatonsville Road, Waterview Heights
8 birds present on edge of dam. First observed by Gary Eggins and others. Had been absent from Waterview Heights for some months-years.
Greg Clancy/Warren Thompson

White-winged Black Tern Lawrence Egret Colony Swamp
One non-breeding WWBT with 15+ Whiskered Terns in various stages of breeding plumage.
Greg Clancy/Warren Thompson

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.