birding-aus

Lesser Black-backed Gull in Broome

To: Rohan Clarke <>, Harry Nyström <>
Subject: Lesser Black-backed Gull in Broome
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 06:19:21 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

Congratulations to these great shots, Rohan!
Whilst I agree that this guy is too dark for a Larus (heuglini) taimyrensis, I
still don't like the idea of it being a Larus fuscus fuscus. I still think that
the bird is too bulky and that its upperparts are too cold dark grey for a L.
f. fuscus. My ID would still be Larus heuglini. Contra my initial comment, more
likely L. h. heuglini than L. h. taimyrensis.

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW