birding-aus

Cicadabird Wombat Forest Vic

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Cicadabird Wombat Forest Vic
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 21:52:48 +1100
Hi all,

Today started at 0700 with a phone call saying "I'll meet you at the  usual
carpark in an hour. We're going after Cicadabirds".

And what a beautiful day it turned out to be. We turned off the Western
Highway and the sun came out and we arrived in the Wombat Forest to find
our friends from the Ballarat BOCA waiting for us. After about 15 minutes
standing around with friends watching Rufous Fantails, Red-browed
Tree-creepers and other delectable bush birds we heard the Cicadabirds
calling. They finally came in and we had great views of one, possibly two,
male Cicadabirds. Yesterday a female had been seen so there could be three
at this spot, way west of their normal range.

They have been seen here for 4 days now. They take time to find though as
they seem to be working a few hectares of bush because they only fly near
the road every half hour or so. It is just a matter of standing and
listening until they are heard and they will soon appear working through
the crowns of the trees before disappearing for another half hour or so.

If you are interested in seeing them take the Ballan - Daylesford Rd (C141)
to the Spargo - Blakeville Rd and turn right, east. The Mineral Springs
Hotel is on the corner and it is about 14.5 km north of the Western
Highway. Approx 1.7 km down the Spargo Rd there is a track on the right
called McGees Rd. Turn here and go in about 1.5 km where there is a bit of
a track and parking spot on the left and a culvert under the road. Park
here and wait until you here them calling.

cheers and good luck

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/