birding-aus

Dead malleefowl in Hattah NP

To: "Philip Maher" <>, "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Dead malleefowl in Hattah NP
From: "Ross Macfarlane" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 12:26:04 +1100
Sorry, I didn't mean to broadcast that request to the whole group.

-----Original Message----- From: Ross Macfarlane
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 11:33 AM
To: Philip Maher ; 'Birding-aus'
Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Dead malleefowl in Hattah NP

Phil,

On behalf of the Victorian Malleefowl Recovery Group I would be very interested to know some more details on this, such as the location and if you happened to collect some feathers from the dead bird. We have had a PhD student conducting a DNA survey of malleefowl distribution and knowing the DNA identity of a breeding bird at a nest mound can be very important data.

Also, if you would be willing to share what you have been recording the history of the mound’s activity, it would be useful. We record this type of information on our national database for known mounds. FYI, among the 40 monitoring locations we visit annually in NW Victoria (1200+ nest sites,) 4 are in Hattah NP.

Cheers,

Ross Macfarlane

Secretary

Victorian Malleefowl Recovery Group, Inc.

)  0417 370 371

+

:  www.malleefowlvictoria.org.au

3 Cambridge Road