birding-aus

feral cats and immigration (The Age)

To: Andrew Stafford <>,
Subject: feral cats and immigration (The Age)
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 08:47:36 +1100
Dear Andrew,
  Heartfelt thanks for your excellent piece in 'The Age'.
Some time ago I was listening to either 'Science Show' or 'Ockham's Razor', and heard a biologist or ecologist interviewed. He researches feral cats in the Kimberley or Pilbara, putting radio-collars on feral cats. One tom was living on a rocky ridge bordering a grassy plain. There was a grass-fire on the plain, and the cat came down from his ridge, and trekked several kilometres across the plain to the margin of the burnt area. This was good hunting for him because of all the refugee mammals and reptiles which had escaped the fire and moved to nearby unburnt country. He hunted here for a week or two and then trekked back to his ridge. I have not been able to follow up the reference but i think it is important information.
   Thank you again,
Anthea Fleming