birding-aus

Spotted Harrier at Corio (Geelong)

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Spotted Harrier at Corio (Geelong)
From: Russ <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 22:34:17 +1100
There was an adult Spotted Harrier at Corio this morning, beside School
Road, not far from the railway station. It was gliding low over an open
block between Harvey Norman and the railway line, often doing the
characteristic rocking from side to side. I didn't have a camera with me -
or even a phone - but I was able to watch the harrier for about 5 minutes.
It came very close, to perhaps 10m, on occasions. I've never been this
close to one for years, and I'd forgotten how huge they are!

This reminded me that I've been very slack about reporting a couple of good
sightings late last year - a Koel calling in Ocean Grove in mid-December
(there seems to be a Koel here each summer); and a Square-tailed Kite near
Mitre-10 at Wallington on 29th Dec. I've had a couple of glimpses of STK in
the area over the last few years, but this was the first good sighting,
reasonably close. The Kite was flying over the paddock that used to hold a
few deer (maybe still does) on the corner of Grubb Rd and Bellarine Hway.

Russell Woodford
Ocean Grove VIC