birding-aus

feral cats and immigration (The Age)

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: feral cats and immigration (The Age)
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 18:05:03 +1000
The article in the age by Adrian Franklin is not untypical of the approach taken by some people in certain social science disciplines to issues grounded in natural science. Their view of society is a lens that they use to interpret phenomena.

In this case, opposition to non-native species is seen to be analogous to opposition to multiculturalism / immigration by different ethnic groups. As such feral animal control is equated to racism ...

A point that Franklin conveniently overlooks is that the people who are racists are quite likely to own non-native pets, and indeed to own pets that are likely to prey on native species. I suspect they are also more likely to abandon or otherwise manage their pets in ways that they contribute to feral populations ...