birding-aus

Is this an outstanding year for crakes and rails for some reason?

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Is this an outstanding year for crakes and rails for some reason?
From: Mark Carter <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 04:59:45 +0000 (GMT)
David,
Further to John's comments about WA, I can vouch for conditions in Central
Australia (NT and SA) having been optimal for these birds over the la Nina and
beyond. Only last month I found breeding Spotted Crake at a remote sewage pond
location near Coober Pedy. They had not been recorded in the previous decade
there despite rigorous annual surveys. These recent years really have been a
fantastic time to be a birder in Australia. Make the most of it- who knows
whats coming in the years ahead...

Cheers
Mark Carter
http://www.desertlife.com.au